Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Aenima

LP filters w/DSLR - 2" or clip fitting?

Whilst using my canon with a 200p newt via the usual ring-adapter to focuser prime-focus, I want to add a light-pollution filter but cant figure out if I can use the 2 inch ep type nebula filters between the camera and scope or would need the more expensive 'clip' CLS filters.

I dont use a barlow or a barlow type t-adapter - or any other filters - and have the 2inch adapter that comes with sw 200p scopes, but still not sure exactly how either type of lp filter fits between the cam and scope, anyone know how they are attached and what type I can use?

Regards

Aenima

The EOS clip fliters (CLS) are really very good. They get rid of light pollution pretty effectively. I bought a T thread filter first, to use with other cameras, then bought a clip version (more expensive) just to use with the EOS anyway , but if you're going to exclusively use one type of adapter, it might be cheaper to buy the dedicated filter in that size.

I think some of the visual nebula filters pass plenty of the popular emission lines, but attenuate other visible wavelengths, not just the common LP frequencies - so might not be quite as versatile as a true LP filter.

This is quite a new thread, so a few people will probably offer a bit more advice in a bit.

• Like 1

Thank you, jackrussell

My main confusion regards whether I can use filters that are sold as 2" - visual and imaging - filters that i'm assuming screw onto or between 2" ep's and a scope's focuser, or will I need to buy the actual dslr clip filters/adapters.

I would like a 2" filter as I also want to use it with a 2" eyepiece in the future, but not sure if it will be able to be attached in between my canons adapter ring and my 200p's focuser? The threads and adapters get a bit confusing - or maybe it is just me having the dumb. :)

Hopefully someone has the same filter/camera or is thinking along those lines.

Regards

Aenima

2" filters have a 48mm thread so you can use step up or step down rings to match them to the filter thread of the camera lens you want to use...these are readily available from online retailers... In the uk Bristol cameras carry a big range

If there is a very large difference in filter size you may need a seriies of different rings used together and will probably start to notice some vignetting in the images but this can be taken care of by using flats in the post processing...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Dont bother using the 2" -> T adapter that comes with the scope, its awful and I would not like to hang a carmera from one.

Get the MaxDSLR adapter (canon fit) from SnS, or you can get the 2" adapter from FLO and just add a canon T-ring. Both are threaded for 2" filters and are a lot more secure in holding your imaging gear.

• Like 1

A selection of 2" filters would be more versatile than buying clip filters. If you decide to try CCD imaging or want to use a filter wheel at any point then the clip filters will be useless and you will have to buy 2" again anyway. Clip filters are good for use with standard camera lenses though.

• Like 1

Nice one folks,

Thanks the posts were v helpful.

Thats really really the type I was hoping to use - 2" - especially as my dslr is just a body, and I was thinking of getting a 2" EP in the future.

I will have a look for the rings needed to fit 2" lp filter between my canon and scope. :)

Thanks again.

Regards

Aenima

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.