SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mob initiation

Richie092

Hi Fellow Essex people. It's good to know there are some like minded people nearby-ish.

How do I get into the Essex Mob? I have owned a Capri (3) , Used to be a regular at Tots in the 80's, Still own some white socks and Live in Upminster does this help?

Richie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Richie,

I'm A little young for a Capri, but I have had a Fiesta ST (I know, not quite as cool) and went to Talk in the 90's, so I think you are close enough to at least 1 person here!

From my (limited) experience, I do know of a couple of "clubs" around Essex, but in my opinion, you have landed at the best place to be. This group is extremely friendly and organises ad hoc nights when weather plays ball, which I'm sure are much more social and less snobby than what I have heard of the clubs. Fairly high amount of speculation there though, as having said that I am still yet to be able to make a night out with this charming group of astronomers.

John

Third Wednesday every month ( except August) see web link in my signature. If you mean golf course in Hall Lane, you then turn into Front Lane from the mini roundabout and go down until The Crane Pub. Turn right and it is there. We are a mixed bunch, old and young, from beginners up to very experienced, but when we meet, we are all on the same level.

We have a couple of dogs come along too!!

This month it`s members talks, so it will be a mixed bag. If you fancy going you will be very welcome.

I only ordered it yesterday but Martin said I should receive mid week.

I dare say it will take me a day or two to put it together and then I have booked a whole night of clear skies in Essex for the end of the week...

I also ordered a 7mm EP and T ring and extension but the extension is out of stock at the mo so will have a few days to get used to the scope before I stick my camera on the end.

Hi Richie and welcome, you do know that to be able to post here, you have to strip down to your undercrackers and run through Southend with a red light torch on your head. We have all done it :grin:

I ordered the HEQ5 Pro. The ED80 outfit came with a 25mm I think so I ordered a 7mm too. Don't want to go too mad to start with seeing as it's my first scope and I don't want to run before I can walk....well not unless I really do have to do the undercracker sprint along Southend seafront then I'm gonna run really fast!

I guess the next upgrades will probably be a Barlow?

Well, i do agree that an Upminster address will read "Upminster, Essex, Rmxx xxx"

But i think you will find that it;s governing body is likely "The London Borough of Havering" and not "Essex County Council"

So how bout that then :)

Archived