SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Years day Sun Ha

robindurant

Wow!! that's amazing!!!!! this really is a cracking image, I would stick to doing your mosaics as they hold so much more detail. I think you would be very much disappointed if you used a focal reducer as the loss of detail would be quite significant.

Super!

Alexandra

Well done Robin, that is very good. Your mosaic is so smooth you can't see the joins. As Alexandra says you will loose detail if you try to image in one go. I like to image in one go as I can't get mosaics as good as you and it takes me forever to do them.

Hi DrRobin

Yes it takes a long time getting rid of the shadows caused by the PST hotspot. I do it by looping areas at 50 pixels and lightening / darkening with the centre adjustment point on 'levels" It sometimes take up to 10 goes. I only want to take non mosaics as snap shots although the detail as you say is not so good but my set up wont take a whoe image, still don't know why.

Robin

Hi,

Agree with the snapshot approach. I take one full image and if there is anything worth looking at, I take the FR off and put a Barlow on. But I use a Lunt and has loads of focus travel so changing between a FR and a Barlow is relatively straight forward.

You can't take a whole image in one go with your set up, the camera just isn't quite big enough.

From http://starizona.com...calc_pixel.aspx the FoV of your system gives 41.3 x 30.9 arc minutes, the sun is 31.6 to 32.7 arc minutes depending on where we are in the orbit (it is not quite circular) so you chop the bottom bit off. In fact if you want to capture the proms, would probably need a little bit more (say 10%) and then another 10% to account for tracking, best make it around 35 arc minutes.

A DMK41 will give you 51.6 x 38.7 arc minutes, perfect. Probably not good news if you have just got the DMK31?

I don't know if an FR would work on a PST. Perhaps if you unscrewed and removed the lower eyepiece holder and screwed your modified upper holder directly in to the PST it might work. The lower holder does have a filter in it and depending on your PST's age may or may not be required as I think they changed this filter arrangement on different models.

On mine the blocking filter (BF) is in the upper eyepiece holder, the lower holder does have a filter but it looks like a secondary ERF, possibly with an IR/UV filter included. You could of course move this closer to the BF, but all of these changes might be more hassle than they are worth.

Archived