Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC5146 Cocoon Nebula + M33 Triangulum Galaxy

SteveL

My first delve into using a CLS filter last night... damn that was cold out there!

First off, IC5146 Cocoon

OTA: NS8GPS@ f/10

Guiding: WO66 + DSI-C + PHD

Imaging: QHY8, 9 x 600s (plus bias and darks), CLS Filter

Process: DeepSkyStacker, PSCS + Noels Tools

Note: I just couldnt get the focus right on this image, kept chasing it back and forwards.

ic5146_cocoon_20071017.jpg

Then M33 appeared over the roof, so I moved on:

OTA: NS8GPS@ f/6.3

Guiding: WO66 + DSI-C + PHD

Imaging: QHY8, 12 x 600s (plus bias and darks), CLS Filter

Process: DeepSkyStacker, PSCS + Noels Tools

m33_20071017.jpg

I took about an hour of Ha as well, but cant quite get my head round how I should use it on my RGB image.

Things I learned last night:

I need a filter wheel to minimise any disruption to my object framing when changing filters

The CLS filter requires at least twice the exposure times against when not using it.

The QHY8 camera really needs a fast scope to do it justice. The focal reducer helps, but its still not great. I need a bigger light bucket

The CLS filter does eliminate pretty much all light pollution, and as such eliminates almost all radial gradient vignetting (gets rid of that nasty red blur/noise in the centre ofmy images)

Locations for any future obsy were looked at... the flatest area of my garden has the worst view, the steepest has the best, so could be a problem there.

Superb stuff Steve. The M33 is awesome.

Is that "smoke" effect reproducible and real or an artefact? You must be pleased with those. I can only dream!

The "smoke" is real, its dark dusty stuff in front of the nebula. Like this that I nicked off the DSS site.

1783_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The difference is that Steve's is nicer.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Fantastic pair of images Steve. Love the "smokey" Cocoon. Takes a decent bit of exposre to pick that up. Very detailed M33 with the Ha regions showing up nicely despite not adding the Ha yet.

I guess the problem with using a CLS filter with a one shot colour camera is that you have to stretch the colours blocked by the filter which must ceate noise but you've managed it a treat.

Adding Ha to an RGB image - guess there's a few ways to do it but this should work - it's a bit easier with a colour camera cos you don't have to mess with channels

Process RGB and the Ha. copy the aligned Ha and choose lighten as the blend mode. This will just let through the areas of the Ha which are lighter than the RGB. Just tweak the curves of the Ha layer to experiment with the effect

-

Archived