Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from London

philipw

Hello everyone, newbie to the forum, and very much to astrology also, in fact haven't purchased any kit yet, baby steps.

On holiday in Egypt I went on a Sinai star gazing day trip, saw Jupiter and the famous spot, wow.. I remember that night after getting back to the hotel just laying there thinking how far away it is, but how close it is compared to what else is out there, then my short circuited thinking about the awesomeness of it.

Just shopping for my first scope or spotter at the moment ready for a trip to Norway in March.

Looking forward to engaging with everyone more, especially once I have something to look through!

Philip

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Phillip Welcome to the Lounge I am also based in London and just to let you know that I am part of central London's Only Astronomy society The Baker Street Irregular astronomers. www.bakerstreetastro.org.uk We meet up once a month in Regent's Park at the HUB cafe. Check out the website and also I should tell you that we are holding a special meeting to support stargazing live on the 8th January 2013. There's even a chance to win a telescope. And best thing is it's totally free and always will be. We meet for about 18:30. Also check out our facebook page. Welcome to the adventure. :)

Did I say astrology? lol what a prat. It was early... I'm a Leo by the way ;)

Looks good for Regents park, although I am doing a course that is every Tuesday evening for 2 years! So I may not be able to go, I will certainly try though, would be great to meet some people!

Philip

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum. Fancy calling it astrology - typical Leo mistake :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: Only joking but you have certainly come to the right place if you want to get started in astronomy as there is a lot of knowledge and experience here to guide you. To help you learn the night sky, you might want to consider downloading a free piece of planetarium software called Srellarium, you can read about it here. Lots of great features that will help find objects as well as identify those you discover. There are a lot of good apps out there for high end phones but it is sometimes quite nice to have something on a bigger screen at home to study. It can also be calibrated to your exact viewing location in order to that you watch a virtual sky of the real thing (...in real time too) which can help you rehearse finding objects and giving you ideas for planning your next viewing session.

Clear skies in the meantime and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Did I say astrology? lol what a prat. It was early... I'm a Leo by the way ;)

Looks good for Regents park, although I am doing a course that is every Tuesday evening for 2 years! So I may not be able to go, I will certainly try though, would be great to meet some people!

Philip

Hi Philip I should also mention that we have a window for this star party from the 8th-10th Jan so check out the website for updates. Also Most of our meetings take place on a Wednesday so should not get in the way of your course too much.

Hope you enjoyed the website and don't forget to check out Tom and Ralph's podcasts they are fun and informative. Hope to see you at Regent's Park if not this coming week then sometime soon. Thanks.

London is a big place, there are other astro societies around and about, where are you based?

Cheers

PeterW

SW london

I'm in SE4, very keen to meet some people and learn the basics!

Thank you for the welcomes and the advice, very keen to get started but going to hold of buying a good scope for a Month or so, to give me time to meet some people and have a look through a few, in the meantime looking for a cheap used interim scope to play around with and get used to the set up, then I will have a better idea of what I want to spend my Money on. If anyone knows of anything for sale in the London area please let me know, or I might just get some bins for the time being.

Again thanks for your welcomes.

P

Archived