Narrowband

My first M1

Helen

I was at Jean's last night playing with her Dob - got some nice views :lol: When I came home, decided it was too clear to just go to bed so got my gear out. It was SOOOO good to be out after a month of cloud! Timing was a bit limited, so fewer subs than ideal, but good to play! Never taken anything of M1 before (but I do remember the first time I found it, with my Megrez 90 scope :D it helped that I'd been told it looked like a thumb print!!)

So here's my first attempt.

NS8GPS, ALt Az, ATiK 16ic, 3.3 FR, no filters

31 x30s subs, stacked in DSS and played with in Elements - also going try this data through different software packages to see what works best...

1859_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

A couple of questions: do I just need more subs to get more detail? or should I use filters??

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen, that's is a good first attempt.

However, if you want to capture the 'thead like tendrils' of the 'crab', you need much longer exposures.

More 30 sec subs, will reduce any 'noise' in the image, albeit its very good as it is, but it won't capture the fine detail.

With my 10" scope, I would run with 10 minutes exposures, and 'stack' them. Probably it bit less now with 12".

As an example, have a look at the M1 image on my web-site.

Hope this helps.

Dave

OK well a little different from my old mate Dave there lol , but i have managed a lot of detail on the crab in 45sec subs Helen, But you do have to use the HA filter to get those filament's out, the 16ic has the punch to do that no prob, so its a must really ,

Rog

OK well a little different from my old mate Dave there lol , but i have managed a lot of detail on the crab in 45sec subs Helen, But you do have to use the HA filter to get those filament's out, the 16ic has the punch to do that no prob, so its a must really ,

Rog

Ahhh!!, but at full resolution 1x1 Rog, or 2x2 binning?

Also, no Ha filter used in my image :D

Dave

One of my first DSOs was M1. The filatments showed up surprisingly well off 20x45 sec subs using the NS8 in alt az with an Atik 0.5 reducer, CLS filter and a little Atik 2HS http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,3395.msg37334.html#msg37334. I certainly think you can push the sub exposure up to 45 secs. It will make a big difference. An Ha filter will really pull things out but M1 is very small for fastar and you will be struggling to get long enough subs in Alt Az

Thanks Martin. Might try the Crab with my ATiK 0.5 and up the sub length to see what I get - if its anything like your I'll be chuffed :D

Looking at option for EQ at the moment, given might be able to get a permanent mounting point. Options are wedge for C8, if I can get a shed approved. If so, what wedge would you recommend? they seem a little hard to come by!

Other option is a HEQ5 set up on a pillar in the garden - that would be for the fracs instead though.

Grateful for advice!

Thanks

Helen

The Celestron wedge is ok for an 8" scope but the azimuth adjustment is very fiddly, flimsy and badly designed. Although the cheapest option not very good value for money new. Decent wedges do crop up from time to time on astro buyand sell. I got my APT wedge which is superb.

Archived