SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A great location and place to stay.

pook

I'm not entirely sure on the rules of doing this, so if this is inappropriate, please edit, or move, or even delete as needed.

I recently went to Galloway forest to observe and do some deep sky photography, and I foudn a great place. Barrhill in South Ayrshire. The skies based on my own light readings are darker than Kielder, and there are so many spots you can just set up a scope on the forest tracks that you don't even have to try looking. The main reason I'm posting though is that I found a fabulous B&B that is very astronomy friendly. It's a working farm, so people are always up and around at all hours, and they really don't care what time you come and go. It's run by a lovely couple who are genuinely interested in making your stay as good as possible. The place has WiFi and Sky TV should you be clouded out one night, and the immediate area has lots to do during the day within a 45 minute drive.

As finding great places to stay that are astronomy friendly is sometimes difficult, I feel this is just letting people know of a great site. I am not affiliated with, or have any connection with the B&B... I just thought it was fabulous, and I think more people shoudl know anout it. Within a 10 minute drive north of the B&B are forest roads and tracks that are on high ground, offer clearl horizon views to all compass points, and more importantly, almost zero light pollution. The nearest town is Newton Stewart which is 16 miles away, and too small to offer any light pollution. There is zero sky glow even on teh horizon in all directions.

More details here..... http://www.blairfarmbandb.co.uk/

Sounds like great location- thanks for sharing. It might be worth feeding back to the owners about the 'astro tourism' potential of their business?

I did. I'm sure if they come on here to advertise though, they'll get removed as Spam, surely? I thought I'd do it on their behalf, as at least I've been on here a while and am clearly not just here to advertise their business.

Archived