Celestron Nexstar (8SE) + New RDF

Just a quick question, regarding the Celestron Nexstar, 8SE in particular. I'm looking to buy a new RDF for it, the Baader Sky Surfer V. I've asked FLO and it doesn't come with the mounting bracket to fit to the installed shoe? on the scope. Now they linked to an adapter, but it requires securing to the scope.

My daft question for the day is, is it simply a case of unscrewing the default shoe from the scope, using the same screws to attach the baader one onto which I can mount the baader sky surfer. I presume the screws will be usable after I remove them. Thing is I don't have access to the telescope atm so I can't be sure how many screws the default shoe is held on by, if it's just a single one or two.

Finally if anyone has bought and used the baader quick release finder bracket, does it fit ok onto the Nexstar 8SE specifically, obviously the OTA is curved and am wondering how well it fits.

Cheers.

There are a couple of pairs of screws around the edge of the rear cell - the black textured section at the back, the RDF is currently attached to it - you should be able to use those. There are a couple of pairs to accommodate both alt/az and eq mounting. Once you identify them and put the scope on the mount, it should be obvious which pair to use. I don't have my scope in front of me, but the original RDF might be using one of the pairs, in which case you should be ok.

I just use a Telrad instead... it just sticks to the OTA with pads :D

Sorry if this isn't much help...

Archived