SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

CS academic moving into astronomy

cero_uno_clear

Hi all, based in North Wales. I'm an astronomy novice albeit I have read many books but just never turned my attention to it. I am a computer scientist by profession, self employed and a humanist (an atheist with morals) which means I have the benefit of much disposable time on my hands which typical 9-to-5 people don't. I'm the type of person who has shunned a stereotypical life, partly because I don't want the baggage of a normal life which means I can focus my time and energy on stuff that matters to me as opposed to stuff which society thinks should matter to people.

I'm very good in my own field but it wasn't the reason I spent many years perfecting my skills. I do want to move into astronomy, signals processing and pattern recognition reasoning systems and have never known of any opportunities in the UK like those which exist in America, one example would be the SETI project. I consider myself an expert in my domain and would love nothing better than to apply my expertise to disciplines which could benefit astronomy or radio astronomy.

I would like to mention that I find it ironic that as I'm working within CS fields like algorithm study, (time, space, search) complexity research and compression, a lot of the terminology and methodology is somewhat interlinked and I think it is this which has me interested. The question I ask myself is which is more probable? ET or not.

Hi cero_uno_clear, welcome to SGL.....

I would also urge you to thoroughly read our Code Of Conduct (which you agreed to in order to sign up to the forum) before making any more posts. Discussing religion is not permitted on SGL.

I have not discussed anything about a religion, humanism has nothing to do with religion. If I cannot partake in this forum merely because I am a humanist then no doubt it infringes upon my human rights to which I take offence and if being humanist is a reason my account is banned then there is nothing I can do about it to which I owe no apology.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think the point above was made in relation to the use of the word atheist which you made as a passing descriptive comment. That aside, I think you clearly have an interesting perspective on life which I am sure can be accommodated in the wide ranging field of astronomy which already attracts lots of different people from all walks of life and backgrounds. I look forward to reading any further developments or ideas you maybe involved with in the future but please feel free to ask any questions in the relevant sections as there is a lot of experience on here to help you.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

I have not discussed anything about a religion, humanism has nothing to do with religion. If I cannot partake in this forum merely because I am a humanist then no doubt it infringes upon my human rights to which I take offence and if being humanist is a reason my account is banned then there is nothing I can do about it to which I owe no apology.

You can indeed take part in this forum! It has nothing to do with your....human rights....... What it does have to do with is astronomy. If you cannot abide by our code of conduct that you agreed to on signing up then maybe this isn't the place for you. No one mentioned the fact you are a Humanist (except you), but YOU mentioned being an atheist and the question about ET or God? That my friend is guiding your thread in a religious direction and will not be tolerated. Please just go and enjoy the forum for what it is here for.......Astronomy........

Archived