SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Oxfordshire

jaffacat13

Hi,

Found this forum & have a keen interest to purchase my first telescope. Am interested in the planets more than the stars so reading the threads am looking at spending up to £200 (would love to be able to use a camera with the lens aswell as I love photography).

Thanks for allowing me to join, im sure I will be posting some questions :)

Lisa

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Lisa and welcome aboard :)

Getting a planetary scope for £200 or less will be easy enough. Getting one which will allow you to tackle even semi-serious astro photography later for that price will be harder to achieve, unless you go for second hand?

A Maksutov would perhaps be the best bet, or a good refractor. If I were you, I would look at getting the best scope now and think about an EQ Synscan mount later when the time comes, unless you wish to triple your budget now and purchase what you need now?

Good luck :)

Welcome to SGL, Lisa.

I'd agree that if you want to do some planetary imaging (and lunar/solar if you wish) as well as using the scope visually then you're probably going to need to look at used kit to be able to meet your budget. If you relax the requirement for imaging then the field opens up a bit.

However, the recommendation to meet up with a few people first and see what's available is definitely a good one.

James

Hi & welcome to SGL. Try to hold off as long as you can bear and read as much as possible.

I've been reading around for about 6 weeks and finally gave in today as I could see what was going to be the right compromise for me.

Lee

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum. Lee's advice of researching before any purchasing is essential when it comes to any form of astrophotography. The requirements are more stringent than that for observing and a potential price tag to match. One interesting book you might want to consider is "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards who by chance is also a member here. It is a very comprehensive guide that will tell you all you need to know and why you need certain kit to achieve good consistent images. Imaging planets and the moon can involve using a simple webcam which might offer you a relatively inexpensive route into imaging but it is the imaging of galaxies and nebulae when all the fun (...frustration? :grin: ) begins. You can take a look at the book here and being modestly price (£19.95) it might indeed save you money too by helping you avoid making the wrong purchase. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived