SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone image with Skywatcher 200p eq5

DBushell

I'm considering buying the aforementioned telescope to replace my okay, but not enough aperture starter scope. I currently image with my 130 Astromaster but I'm looking to see your best Skywatcher 200p images of the planets to help me make my mind up that a new scope should be part of my New Years Resolution!

Show me your best 200p images :-)

Thanks in advance!

I've used my 200p on an EQ5 for imaging, both planetary and DSO. I have the dual axis motors for tracking - which is a must for any DSO work. The Sky Watcher series allows you to mount an SLR very easily and you only need the T-ring adaptor (the 200p has a 1.25" adaptor as standard and this can be unscrewed and replaced with the T-ring - I've described this on another thread). I've found it a nice package for imaging and I can get it setup and polar aligned in my back garden in about fifteen minutes or so as it's quite a manageable weight (with the mount, counter balance weights and OTA as seperate pieces). If you want to do some very series imaging, with guiding etc, then it may be at the limits for this but I've produced some very satisfying results. I am still learning though.

• Like 1

Hello,

My first telescope is a 200p on a heq5 (standard one) and I have only imaged Jupiter and the moon so far.

Im afraid all of my images are black and white, but you can see what I have achieved with a 200p and only the stock 2x barlow it came with. Along with a £30 camera.

clavius

JUPITER 4 moons 5th

Europa transit

Lunar mosaic boxing day

JUPITER5122012

jupiterbarlowtext

I thought I'd just give you a random array of what I've managed after about 4 months with the telescope.

Dan

Quatermass is the first person who springs to my mind when it comes to imaging with a 200P on an EQ5. It's not been plain sailing though and before thinking "Oooh, I can do that!" I'd recommend reading through some of his threads to get a feel for the work involved. You may well decide that avoiding the pain makes it worth spending a bit more for a better mount.

James

This is one of my first attempts at M31 with a stack of 30 s exposures with an SLR. A bit of a lucky first go at prime focus - especially with the focus. I've already posted this on its own thread and apologies for posting it again. I've since processed the subs in deep sky stacker but I still like this version (stacked only in photo shop).

post-22790-0-55398500-1357166723_thumb.j

For planetary and lunar imaging you'll need an RA motor. The EQ5 includes a polar scope.

As has been suggested in this thread already the EQ5 is at the edge of its carrying capacity with the 200P so most will suggest that for serious deep space imaging to go for the HEQ5 at least.

• 6 years later...
On 02/01/2013 at 17:56, long_arms said:

Hello,

My first telescope is a 200p on a heq5 (standard one) and I have only imaged Jupiter and the moon so far.

Im afraid all of my images are black and white, but you can see what I have achieved with a 200p and only the stock 2x barlow it came with. Along with a £30 camera.

clavius

JUPITER 4 moons 5th

Europa transit

Lunar mosaic boxing day

JUPITER5122012

jupiterbarlowtext

I thought I'd just give you a random array of what I've managed after about 4 months with the telescope.

Dan

Just bought a P200, with Canon 6D, T Ring & barlow Adapter/eyepiece. Is there anything else i need for good moon/planet shots?

Thanks

Large aperture Newtonians are a challenge to handle, (I know as I have a Skywatcher 250PDS), but I would not change mine for anything. The amount of light they gather in such a short period of time is amazing and suits my bang for buck imaging style perfectly 🙂