Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Essex

firephinix

hello first post on here and a few questions
I got a celestron 130eq-md for Christmas and so far iv had very good views of the mood and Jupiter.
I bought myself the celestron eye peice kit that comes with a 2x Barlow lens, a 6mm, 15mm eye pieces and some filters.
Now for the questions. If I use the Barlow and the 6mm it gives me a 3mm but I can't focus enough to get a better view, could I move the balow and eye peice out a bit more to get in focus or could I get a extension tube to focus more? (if any of that makes sense)
Would a 3x Barlow be any use?
Would like to use a webcam, I have ordered an adapter tube for it onto the telescope. Do I just put it into the focuser or do I need to put it into the barlow? Also want to use my camera but iv tried the film case onto my camera (which fits really well) but when I put it into the Barlow and the focuser I can't see anything even though with eye piece can see what I'm looking at. Iv looked at so many tuts Im lost lol. So any help would be appreciated and in a newbe/plain english way as tech speak I can't understand yet lol
Hope you can help as hae asked else where and they didnt exactly answer the questions lol

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Firephinix

Welcome aboard!

A 6mm eyepiece is probably quite close to your scope's practical limit. I have a 127mm refractor and only magnify up to 127x (5mm eyepiece). Seeing conditions need to be good to support any further magnfication.

I wouldn't personally bother with the barlow unless you are going into webcam Astronomy.

Clear skies!

yeah thanks for all the hellos but no answers to my questions or do i need to put them in a different forum?

Hi Firephinix... Welcome to the forum.

The webcam can go straight in the focuser or with the Barlow, either way should work it will just give you more magnification.

The fact that the Barlow is stopping you focus properly probably is due to the magnification being to high for the scope, it will also make finding / tracking objects much harder.

As a rule of thumb (very roughly) you can use approx 40 to 50 times the aperture of the scope in inches and the seeing conditions will also have an effect on this.

rambling now...

and yes, you could use the Barlow pulled slightly out of the focuser if that works, just be careful it doesn't fall on your toe!

good luck viewing and welcome again from a fellow Essex boy :D

Thanks Knobby

Yeah I get What im looking at (ie jupiter) with the 20mm the quickly change to the barlow ect and track it with the micro adjuster? well i can keep it in view lol

is there a 1.25 extention vailable cos with the 6mm its only just out of focus and thinking if was a little bit longer i should have it focused.

iv only got a cheap webcam from years ago but getting an adapter for it, if needs be ill get a better one but as a newbie just testing the water first.

viewing conditions havnt been too bad very clear some nights mostly looking at jupiter and the moon but as only been a week theres loads yet to see :D

less of the essex boy, towies got a lot to answer to lol

Hi Firephinix and welcome to SGL, there will be quite a number of forum members who have the telescope you have just acquired and may have come across the same problem with supplied eye pieces and Barlow, If you address these questions into the help and advice sections, you are more likely to come up with the help you want, however, as has been pointed out the magnification may have been a bit beyond that which which would have given you some sort of image, taking into account the seeing conditions at the time. Broadly speaking, I believe the focal length of your scope is in the order of 650mm, with your 6mm eye piece, this will give you a mag of 108x if you then use the 2x barlow this then equates to 216x. Under the finest seeing conditions an average of 50x per inch of aperture is often given, but translating to the skies in this country, it can be reduced to more like 20x to 30x which gives you something in the order of 150x, extremely good seeing may,of course extend this a little more. For assistance with imaging, then place your questions direct into the various sections, HTH :)

John.

Hi and welcome - I'm sure you'll get answers, be patient, but briefly, using a Barlow with your 6mm eyepiece is going to be too much magnification for your scope on all but the very best of seeing conditions (once or twice a year I'm afraid) - I'd forget a 3x Barlow and save up for a dedicated EP of the power you want

Archived