30mm 2" focus ?

rory

sorry for the daft question here,but i was deflated tonight after a long wait i finally got to try out a 30mm aero eyepiece in the 200p dob.

however theres not enough outward travel to bring it into focus .

i managed to get use of it by pulling it out of the tube about a cm and locking it in position. is this the norm for the standard focuser ?

ta.

Rory,

This seems to be the case on a few telescope. I have the problem on my 190mm Skywatcher, I didn't know the previous owner sold me it with an extention tube and I was on site wrongly saying I didn't have a problem. I think it is an area where many scopes have a few corners cut to keep the price down. I mean take the scope I am talking about if I put a 35mm Panoptic and get the tube in a position where the eyepiece is facing upwards it collapses under its own weight. Not very good for a thousand pounds. Even if you buy a screw on focuser that is sold as better quality, like the type you can get for the back of a SC tube, many of them are not up to the job. It seems to me that to get good gear you have to buy the likes of Moonlite or Starlight which is almost the cost of another scope.

Your problem can be overcome by a simple extention, but why can't this come with the scope. We are talking small money for a large company to add this to the specification of the scope but what a rip off these things are when we buy them as a one off. I do fully understand the problem you have and having expensive eyepieces only half way inserted into a draw tube is not the answer. You should buy an extension which is not a good anwser when the shops are closed as they were yesterday. They also never seem to print this information anywhere in the handbook.

Happy New Year,

Alan.

Hi Rory - there was a similar thread i was reading a few days ago about the exact same thing - newt with 30 2" not coming come to focus - see if you can find it and see what was suggested. Glad you got a chance to try it at last though!

andrew

not sure if this helps - but i tried my new ES 30mm 82 degree in my 200p for the first time last night - using the standard 2" extender - and it focussed around mid-travel on the focusser - so it sounds odd that the should be so much difference between 30mm EPs - given that the eye releief is in the same ballpark

maybe try the set up in daylight with a terestrial target?

just as a cross reference

Al

Your problem can be overcome by a simple extention, but why can't this come with the scope. We are talking small money for a large company to add this to the specification of the scope but what a rip off these things are when we buy them as a one off. I do fully understand the problem you have and having expensive eyepieces only half way inserted into a draw tube is not the answer. You should buy an extension which is not a good anwser when the shops are closed as they were yesterday. They also never seem to print this information anywhere in the handbook.

I think you're being a bit harsh here. The scope manufacturers can't be expected to know and accommodate for every single eyepiece in existence. If a particular eyepiece won't come to focus when other eyepieces have no issue then that's the fault of the eyepiece designer not the scope designer!

I think you're being a bit harsh here. The scope manufacturers can't be expected to know and accommodate for every single eyepiece in existence. If a particular eyepiece won't come to focus when other eyepieces have no issue then that's the fault of the eyepiece designer not the scope designer!

I hear what you say, but I am talking about 6 eyepieces 5 Televue and one Meade UWA that I have , hardly cheap rubbish, There will be many in the case of the Mac Newt from Sky watcher, I am of course not sure about the starter of the threads scope.

The cost of an extender to the manufaturer is tiny, I would say less than 2 pounds, for us to buy is nearer twenty, what for a tube with a screw in it.

Alan.

thanks for the advice all.

How long is your 2" adapter Rory?

I have one here which measures 50mm from collar to the top and its from my old Skywatcher, if its any help I'II send it up. :)

mike your a star thanks for the kind offer but i had trouble getting a 2" adapter to fit in the first place, took a while to get one with the right fitting.seems the skyliners have had several fitting sizes and lengths over the years.

i might attach something to the e/p barrel just to raise it a little, or just sell it on and put it down to a lesson learnt.

i appreciate your offer though,thanks matey.

May still be worth messaging the good people at FLO to see if they could help with some kind of adapter?

Seems a shame to send it back as I know youve been looking forward to this low power EP for a while....

i had a look at m35 o/c with the aero just to get a feel for it and have to say it was very comfortable to use and gave a pleasing view across the whole f.o.v at f/6.

i shall sleep on it and decide weather i really want to spend money ontop of the initial lay out , but at this moment i dont feel like it . ( sulks, and feels sorry for himself :grin: )

clear skies .....and long focuser tubes to you all ... :smiley:

I've used an Aero ED 30 in a 200P dobsonian and it worked just fine. My suspicion is that you have (despite your efforts) not got the correct length adapter for the scope.

As a fix you could put a 2" par-focalisation ring on the eyepiece barrel at a suitable point which allows it to focus. They cost just a few quid. The Aero ED's are good eyepieces, a step up from the Panaviews in my opinion and they contain the same optics as the admired but now extinct TMB Paragon's.

I've used an Aero ED 30 in a 200P dobsonian and it worked just fine. My suspicion is that you have (despite your efforts) not got the correct length adapter for the scope.

As a fix you could put a 2" par-focalisation ring on the eyepiece barrel at a suitable point which allows it to focus. They cost just a few quid. The Aero ED's are good eyepieces, a step up from the Panaviews in my opinion and they contain the same optics as the admired but now extinct TMB Paragon's.

i take it they attach to the e/p barrel as a collar to extend out the eyepiece ? i'll google them tonight. thanks.

Although I have a specific extention, I find the Baader FTR's most useful for this kind of thing as the fit snugly to the filter thread, and you can still use filters, not too deep 14mm & 28mm, very flexible.

Archived