SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW Synscan handset firmware upgrade

Ajohn

Daft questions is some ways but.

I have a lead with a serial uart type connector on one end and the other end plugs into the same place as the lead to the mount's head. Assume this is the lead for firmware upgrading? I would have thought they might use the other socket in the handset. That's just for PC control I suppose.

I'm fairly sure my desktop machine has a serial socket. It hasn't been used for years but I run Linux+KDE. I could try running the sw update in a dos box equivalent or under wine but would like to know if any one has done this and if it works?

I do have a windows laptop about. Several in fact but none of them have a serial connector despite the age of one of them. Can I use a USB to serial converter? I don't want to just try it as I believe the voltage levels are entirely different on serial to what is used on USB. The converters I have seen about just seem to be straight pin swapping items so probably use USB voltage levels.

John

I would go for a good quality serial/usb adapter rather than try to get the firmware uploader working through linux. The serial / rj11 is used for both updating the handset firmware and control of the from a pc through the handset (in both cases the cable is plugged in to the middle socket of the handset)

Thanks Peter :mad: on my brief look at it the serial lead didn't seem to fit the centre socket. Just tried again and it does.

Other than ebay serial to usb adapters seem to be rather thin on the ground. Local PC shop was amazed that I wanted one. Quote Oh people used to use those for updating firmware, Haven't sold any for several years. :grin: I didn't tell him what I wanted it for either. They used to have plastic boxes on the end but a quick look showed nothing remotely like that now.

John

Archived