Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'Jet' prominence on the sun

Stu

Lovely day here today, finally, so was out having a short session on the sun with the PST.

There are some lovely prominences showing, nice large one I suppose at around 10 o'clock position.

What caught my eye however, was what looked like a jet of gas heading in a clear straight line, probably at around the 4 or 5 o'clock position. It formed very quickly and then when I came back out again a few minutes later it had gone. I've not seen anything happen so quickly before, was great to see, I just wish I had watched it for longer.

Anyone else catch it?

Stu

Shame I missed it. Spent the morning making up my scope and lens filters, but by the time I got out there the sun was behind some trees and obscured by clouds. Then it got too low to see. Perhaps I'll get another go tomorrow a bit earlier. It looks like I only have a small window of opportunity at this time of year from the garden.

Can't wait to see something like you have described. :cool:

Stu. It's a global network of six solar observatories which monitor the Sun in Ha daily with images updated each minute, an absolute must for solar enthusiasts. There are a number of additional facilities that allow you to wind back the data to catch what you may have missed, most of the details shown can be seen in a good PST so it makes a great comparison. :smiley:

Archived