sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

lense cover

Im guessing to stop the aperture down? My 250pds has something similar which I use when solar observing - gives more contrast and means I used less baader film in making the filter ;-)

Yeah, as Digz says.

In fact, believe it or not, it mentioned in the old 100R manual, that

" If you decide to make an observation of the Sun directly, It is necessary to

reduce an aperture with the help of diaphragm and to use a black solar light

filter. "

100% do NOT do this unless you enjoy playing 'lets take a chance that the heat of the sun, won't crack this small glass filter and burn my retina'

Crazy stuff. Make a Baader solar filter mask instead, or project the image through a cheap eyepiece, onto a piece of paper.

Andy.

ps: most Tal scopes were provided with seperate dust covers with an offset hole AND a black glass solar filter, back in the day. Crazy Russians !!!

I'll say it again. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD

Edited by AndyH

ps: most Tal scopes were provided with seperate dust covers with an offset hole AND a black glass solar filter, back in the day. Crazy Russians !!!

Scary :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Tony

Scary :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Tony

Very.

I pointed my Tal Alcor(65mm newt !!) at the sun many years back, put the filter on the eyepiece, hovered about it in fear, turned to get something out of the scope crate and heard a tiny 'tink' noise. Lo and behold, one cracked filter. If any eye had been on that eyepiece, goodbye dear friend !!!

Don't ask why I even thought about putting that filter on. Madness.

Edited by AndyH

The extra a,s in my last post were not done for dramatic effect, but due to dyslexic fingers. On another topic I have been to Maplins & bought a small flight case for my bits & bobs, ideal, I agree with the post that said don't cut the foam out just push it down, works a treat.