Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

At last, some clear skies

Strath

Only for an just over an hour but still exciting.

I tried out the SkyAlign setting on my 130SLT and must say it is pretty good. Aligned to three unknown bright stars and then told the mount to find jupiter; right in the view of the EP. Pretty impressive bit of mathematics going on there.

However, I do want to get to know the sky a bit better and I think the auto align will be a support until I get there. I am also learning (or teaching myself) how to read the excellent monthly star maps from SkyMaps and managed to find Castor and Pollux in relation to the map. Not a massive point but I am still pretty pleased.

Things started to get a bit cloudy and I decided to come in. Packed away and then the rain started...

I am looking forward to getting back out and also to the delivery of Turn Left at Orion. Now showing as 'Despatched'. Woohoo!

I hope everyone else got a chance to get some observing in.

If you have not already done so I would suggest you download Stellarium to help you find your way around http://www.stellarium.org/

This is a free planatarium program in which you input your location and it shows you a view of the sky in real time. There are also many other features to keep you busy when you can't get outside.

Happy 2013.

Archived