Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best eyepiece for jupiter

northwalesparry

Can someone please advise me on wich eyepiece is best for viewing jupiter, i only have the 10mm and 25mm and barlow thay came with my skywatcher 130 scope.The reason i ask is that im finding it hard to pick up any detail just a bright disc. Ive even looked at times of when the GRS is visable . I am looking to upgrading my eyepieces (the revelation photo/eyepiece get good reveiws) , is this any good or can anyone recommend any other kits , looking to spend max £150. thanks phil

I could pick out the bands on Jupiter last night on my skywatcher 130, also with the stock lenses. I used the 25 to make sure I was on target then swapped to the 10 and later added the barlow. Thought the barlow took away some of the image personally, but could just make out the bands once I gave my eyes a little time to adjust and focus properly.

• 4 weeks later...

The GRS spot transit times are here:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3304091.html?page=1&c=y

With my 4" refractor I find 150x the most effective on Jupiter - so either my 5mm or 4mm eyepieces, depending on the seeing conditions.

With my 4.7" refractor 180x is the optimum with 225x being good on nights when the conditions are really good. Again thats 5mm or 4mm eyepieces.

Jupiter does not seem to benefit from really high magnifications in the same way that Saturn and Mars do.

For what it's worth the eyepieces I use are Pentax XW (the 5mm) and a Skywatcher Nirvana or University Optics Orthoscopic for the 4mm.

Archived