Narrowband

Noise from Crayford focuser

Hi,

I am totally new to astrology, and just got myself a Sky-Watcher 150PDS, on an EQ5 Pro w. Synscan GOTO motorised setup. The package I purchased included an upgraded focuser, to the Crayford focuser w. 1/10 microfocusing.

I think I have it all setup right, at least it seems to work as perscribed. However, sitting up here in Nuuk, Greenland, I do not have a "down-the-street" shop where I can ask silly questions. Hence I am having to depend on good folks like yourselves to help me out. The dealer in Denmark has also been very helpful, but even he can't answer all questions...

The focusing dials are working, but they are very tight, even to the point where it gives out a grinding noise when used. I found an excellent manual of the focuser, and adjusted the countersrew, the stopping screw, and the two parallelizing screws, and it is now much much better, but there is still significant grinding when using the focusing dials, even the micro one. Is that normal?

Also, as I am here in Nuuk, at this high Latitiude (64.10.21N), I can'd ajust the EQ5 altitude adjustment T-bolts beyond 60 degrees. I guess I can lower the "N" leg on the mount a bit to find Polaris, but how will that affect the GoTo functionality? Or, is there another way to keep the mount level, and still adjust Latitute beyond the std. 60 degrees on the EQ5 Pro mount?

Thanks in advance,

Bo

The dealer suggest loweering the "N" foot, and Skywatcher themselves say there is no solution, except to align to Polaris using the levelling of the mount.

My question is if using the levelling of the mount will affect the Synscan GoTo funcationality?

/Bo

Super - thanks for the replies.

I'll eagerly await the next clear sky night, with tons of northern lights, and hopefully a bit warmer temps. than the current -15 degrees. On a nice starry night though, it is beautiful up here, and with so little light polution it is a good spot for star gazing:)

Archived