Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First image (ever)

Having received a RA motor for Christmas, i thought i would try a spot of photography.

M42

Single 30sec exposure

ISO 400

post-21702-0-19742000-1356825660_thumb.j

This is JPG taken on a Sony Alpha, the original photo was taken in raw format, but I'm having trouble finding software that will convert Sony raw files (.AWR) into .tiffs, anyone use an alpha and know of anything?

Thanks for reading :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i did shoot this star field (was the only part of the sky with no clouds at this point lol) quite happy with how it came out. I just need to get my head around stacking software and what tweaks to do when i get the chance to advance a bit

.post-21702-0-79994100-1356829004_thumb.j

Im just glad i managed to get a start on this, and am happy with the results i got.

Matt, that's pretty good for a single sub! Nice one :)

As for your Sony Alpha RAWS, which model alpha is it? You should find RAW support with photoshop elements. Version 11 is just out, but if your camera is a slightly older model, you may find an erlier version will support it. Costs in the region of £60 - £70 usually. And it will be great to use for normal photos too.

Am I right in thinking the A230 has been out for a couple of years?? If so you may well find Elements 10 will fit the bill. Adobe should tell you for sure. May even be supported in Elements 9?!

But if you chose to stretch a bit more to the newest release, you would be a bit more future proof. Doesn't matter for me though. I use Elements 8, but it does .PNG files from my Pentax Kx although it can also shoot in the Adobe .DNG RAW format and these files will open with even earlier Elements programs.

Excellent stuff. Really interesting contribution Matt.

What strikes me is that all the fantastic and beautiful shots that one sees through multiple shots being stacked and then processed means that you can't really decide how much processing has affected what can be observed.

If this is a single 30-second shot "right out of the can" then it brings out quite a bit of the colour of M42 without tweaking.

Question: could you detect any of that colour visually using the same scope if you allowed your eyes to get accustomed to the dark for long enough?

- Tony

Excellent stuff. Really interesting contribution Matt.

What strikes me is that all the fantastic and beautiful shots that one sees through multiple shots being stacked and then processed means that you can't really decide how much processing has affected what can be observed.

If this is a single 30-second shot "right out of the can" then it brings out quite a bit of the colour of M42 without tweaking.

Question: could you detect any of that colour visually using the same scope if you allowed your eyes to get accustomed to the dark for long enough?

- Tony

Some people see hints of green in the nebula, but i never have.

Very good, yet to step into the Dark Side but I'd be happy to get those results on my first foray :-)

I always thought that as well when i looked at other peoples first attempts. All i did was copy what id seen people do on here, time of exposure, which ISO to use etc. I still dont really understand how the ISO works to be honest though.

ISO used to relate to sensitivity of film media - the higher the ISO the more sensitive the film was but the more grained and noisy the resultant image was. The same is somewhat true of digital imaging but I don't know why, nor how the ISO setting on a digital camera actually affects the photon gathering process. I'm certain someone more knowledgable will be along soon to elaborate! ;-)

Archived