Narrowband

Turn Left at Orion (TLaO)

My wife's family bought me TLaO for Christmas, to go with the 8" Dob I bought for my 40th. Today was the first possible opportunity to give the combination of book and scope an outing. It also coincided with my in-laws being around too. After the obligatory tour around Jupiter, I turned the scope, following the books directions, to the Orion Nebula. Got it! First time. The trapezium was clear although thanks to a full moon, the nebula clouds were difficult to pick out with clarity.

Still, very impressive and the in-laws could see the value of their investment.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well worth it. It really helped me get started finding my way around, and I still refer to it often, although now I use it in conjunction with some more detailed star atlas's (the Sky and Telescope Pocket atlas is pretty neat and easy to use outside too - also spiral bound). TLAO is nicely written and presented too.

Looks like it may be clear tonight, so I'll be looking at some of the multiple stars in Orion tonight, basically, I'm going to just work through the book as best I can as I slowly build up my knowledge.

Slight issue at the moment as the moon is full and therefore making viewing of some objects a little tough

Sorry if this seems foolish, but for one whos ever watching the pennies, would there be any draw backs in getting this on kindle? Its about half price for the digital version, but of course if there are a lot of pictures in colour then it's probably going to lose a lot of its usefulness in trying to find anything. Anyone got the kindle version?

Sorry if this seems foolish, but for one whos ever watching the pennies, would there be any draw backs in getting this on kindle? Its about half price for the digital version, but of course if there are a lot of pictures in colour then it's probably going to lose a lot of its usefulness in trying to find anything. Anyone got the kindle version?

The pictures are mainly (all?) black and white. However, the book is in large format , bigger than A4, to allow a lot of detailed pictures / diagrams to be used. I found these to be really useful last night, as it confirmed what I was looking at was really the nebula (as the pictures show what you'd see through the finderscope, small telescope and 8" Dob). I don't know how this will translate into the eversion.

I have the e reader version guys but I want to buy the paper version. Are the pages water proof for when the night gets dewy? Will the pages stick together? Thanks

not water proof no, can get dewy. some copy the pages out prior to going out side. i dont ,mines dog eared and ripped with scribbled notes here and there.

i wouldnt fancy the kindle version if you plan on useing it out side , it might get damaged by moisture more so than a book.

I bought the Kindle version 1st . Its the 1st edt , I now own the 4th edt in print . I would go for the print version as it has far more info in it

Archived