SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10 year old and a 250 dob!

knobby

Just seen a gap in the clouds for the first time in what seems like weeks...

popped the dob out for a quick peek with my 10 year old, I was truly impressed when after pointing out Orion and tracing out the belt and dagger to show how to find the nebula when she grabbed the scope and swung it up to Jupiter for a quick peek then proceeded to find Orion neb without any help.

I thought it may be a fluke so moved it away again and she was straight back on it :D

Proud Dad :D

Like it!... I think she'd be after the 300 and I'd end up with the 250, she already moans if i get the 4se out, it gets greeted with 'ohhh, not the small one, get the big one out '

Poor things going to get a complex...

Get the 300mm, without any tracking or GoTo, it doesn't look like she needs it :smiley: . Although, depending on how high the eyepiece is from the ground may depend on whether or not a box is needed.

If possible actually, go for a larger size.... stem off aperture fever for a while.

Started out as a proud dad bragging about how clever his Daughter was... Now you've got me ( and her :D) wondering how much we'd get by selling the 250 and the 4se to pit towards a 300... You fiends :D

Just making some suggestions to keep your daughter happy :p

I am faced with a similar issue from my almost 4 year old. I get one of the telescopes out and she is there like a shot. Not as advanced as your 10 year old clearly, but Lucy pesters me like crazy to look at the Moon, Jupiter or a "gas thing" (Nebula). A couple of times I have shown her multiple stars and even Andromeda, she doesn't yet quite get the galaxy concept, but there is a keep interest there, which i shall nurture of course.

Now all I have to do is work on Max, my 2.5 year old son...he does look through a scope if it's out, and he gets exited, but i don't think that yet he really "gets it".

I am faced with a similar issue from my almost 4 year old. I get one of the telescopes out and she is there like a shot. Not as advanced as your 10 year old clearly, but Lucy pesters me like crazy to look at the Moon, Jupiter or a "gas thing" (Nebula). A couple of times I have shown her multiple stars and even Andromeda, she doesn't yet quite get the galaxy concept, but there is a keep interest there, which i shall nurture of course.

Now all I have to do is work on Max, my 2.5 year old son...he does look through a scope if it's out, and he gets exited, but i don't think that yet he really "gets it".

It really is nice to share something like this with your kids, I think we are very lucky !

All joking aside my 5 1/2 year old knows Venus and Jupiter and some star names. It is a bit cold to have him out with me now ( minus 12 ) I can understand you being proud.

My son also told the taxi drive the other morning, that's Venus up there, Daddy is going to move it after christmas to the evening sky so we don't have to get up early to se it. He don't always get things right.

Try to get her interested in the scope views. M13 always seemed to interest Daniel.

Alan.

My son also told the taxi drive the other morning, that's Venus up there, Daddy is going to move it after christmas to the evening sky so we don't have to get up early to se it. He don't always get things right.

That really made me chuckle :grin: :grin:

Astro imp,

It is 100% as it happened, Daniel speaks both Bulgarian and English, I understand more than I can speak, but I am not bad. Thats a lie for 14 years here I am awful, one of my problems was I travel elsewhere from here so often I was just getting into it then I was off to Thailand or Mexico. for a month.

I guess now it is down to Mothers and Father to encourage children now Sir Patrick has gone, I can't see the same drive coming from any of the others, Patrick made it sound easy and that most certainly is not, long may we remember him.

Alan.

Archived