Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barr & Stroud Savannah ED 56mm

8kids

Built like a tank and quite heavy I bought them for birdwatching where i wanted a rugged waterproof set of bins and weight wasnt so much of an issue.. but give a decent enough View... I have the Hawke Prostalk 10x56 ED's essentially the same bins and FLO used to sell them before changing brands to Barr and Stroud...

Only problem is getting a tripod mount for them as the standard ones don't really fit between the barrels unless your IPD is pretty wide...

Peter...

• 1 month later...

I realise this post is getting a little old now, but for what its worth, I just bought a pair of Barr & Stroud Sahara 10x50's and they're really great.

I'm lucky enough that A10 Optics / Scopes 'n Skies new shop in Southery in Norfolk is on my way to work so I was able to compare with some £50 Helios Fieldmaster and some Practica 10x50's and the Sahara's blew them away. £40 more, but worth it. Great support from the bloke at A10 Optics by the way, thanks again if you ever read this.

They are roof prism, BAK4, nitrogen-filled, midi-size, and waterproof. Designed for the clumsy birdwatcher i think. But what really got me was the huge field of vision and clarity of image. Felt more like looking through a 'scope than peering through binoculars. Really comfortable and a pleasure to use. For anyone reading this thinking of getting a new pair of binoculars, do yourself a favour and engineer an opportunity to try some of these Barr & Strouds out.

Cheers, Simon

Thanks for the info, I still can't make up my mind binoculars or a new eyepiece. I've tried a pair of Pentax PCF WP II 10x50 and they were great bins, also FLO still has the 10x56 ED Savannahs which are a tiny bit more expensive.........but.......I don't know. Perhaps I should spend the money on something else, I always know what I want when I'm skint. :grin:

Then I can go through the whole process again. :dontknow::BangHead:

Archived