Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Tim

M1 Crab Nebula in Narrowband and Broadband, pushing the limits of mount, camera, and sky...

Sometime last year after completing a long session on the Crab Nebula, I turned my C9.25 to it and took a 20 minute Ha exposure at F10. The little bit of detail that came through made a big impression on me, and so I planned a kit upgrade to get a proper image done at that scale.

One C11 EdgeHD and Atik428ex later, here's the result.

My EQ6 is working at its limit, but performing admirably under the pressure of providing a stable platform for a rig running at 2800mm focal length. The resolution is really pushing it too, 0.67 arcsec/pixel, but I wanted to see what the scope could do, so any time there was a clear hour or two, another few subs were added to the total mix.

I've really enjoyed this one, it has kind of made up for a dreadful year of weather and cloudy skies. I have a new reducer on the way for the scope, and possibly a new camera too, so will be looking for some new challenges in 2013.

Full details below, thanks for looking.

Cheers

Tim

Full Size Here

post-1391-0-36130400-1356730647_thumb.jp

Telescope: C11 EdgeHD

Focal Length: 2800mm

F Ratio: F10

Camera: Atik 428ex

Binned: 2x2

Resolution: 0.67 arcsec/pixel

Mount: EQ6

Exposure Details:

Luminance : 38mins

Red: 58mins

Green: 104mins

Blue: 45mins

Ha 7nm: 360mins

Oiii: 785mins

Sii: 325mins

Total Exposure: 23hrs

Data gathered over several weeks Autumn/Winter 2012

Software:

Capture: Nebulosity 3

Guiding: PHD

Stacking & Calibration: DeepSkyStacker (3x Drizzle)

Initial Processing: Pixinsight

Combining: Registar 1.0

Processing: Photoshop CS5

• Like 14

Tim, that is amazing, and imaged at such a high focal length, be extremely proud of that image

This is absolutely stunning. Gives me something to aspire to and something to keep me motivated despite the poor weather this year.

Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

WOW!! Wonderful - such terrific detail - lovely :)

• Like 1

That is a seriously good image! You must be proud of it and worth every penny and hour taken to get it.

• Like 1

An amazing image, the detail is stunning. It always amazes me what people can achieve from their back gardens, well done.

Pushing the eq6 to unbelievable performance !

great image !

cheers,

Harel

An incredible image of the crab Tim, the high res,version as a lovely 3D look about it. Excellent high focal length work!

Great stuff. Proves you can image with long focal lengths on an EQ6 - with a considerable amount of skill.

Oh, I guess that's OK... nah, just joking, that's a stonking image Tim... :)

James

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to make positive suggestions on how to improve on that. All I can think of is to upgrade to an HST !!

Fantastic Tim.

Dave

Very good image Tim. Hubble-esque and remarkable considering it is through UK skies and at such a high focal length.

Thanks for sharing! Very envyous ;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.