Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M1 Crab Nebula in Narrowband and Broadband, pushing the limits of mount, camera, and sky...

Tim

Sometime last year after completing a long session on the Crab Nebula, I turned my C9.25 to it and took a 20 minute Ha exposure at F10. The little bit of detail that came through made a big impression on me, and so I planned a kit upgrade to get a proper image done at that scale.

One C11 EdgeHD and Atik428ex later, here's the result.

My EQ6 is working at its limit, but performing admirably under the pressure of providing a stable platform for a rig running at 2800mm focal length. The resolution is really pushing it too, 0.67 arcsec/pixel, but I wanted to see what the scope could do, so any time there was a clear hour or two, another few subs were added to the total mix.

I've really enjoyed this one, it has kind of made up for a dreadful year of weather and cloudy skies. I have a new reducer on the way for the scope, and possibly a new camera too, so will be looking for some new challenges in 2013.

Full details below, thanks for looking.

Cheers

Tim

Full Size Here

post-1391-0-36130400-1356730647_thumb.jp

Telescope: C11 EdgeHD

Focal Length: 2800mm

F Ratio: F10

Camera: Atik 428ex

Binned: 2x2

Resolution: 0.67 arcsec/pixel

Mount: EQ6

Exposure Details:

Luminance : 38mins

Red: 58mins

Green: 104mins

Blue: 45mins

Ha 7nm: 360mins

Oiii: 785mins

Sii: 325mins

Total Exposure: 23hrs

Data gathered over several weeks Autumn/Winter 2012

Software:

Capture: Nebulosity 3

Guiding: PHD

Stacking & Calibration: DeepSkyStacker (3x Drizzle)

Initial Processing: Pixinsight

Combining: Registar 1.0

Processing: Photoshop CS5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived