SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sympathies for LP afflicted London Astronomers

Marki

Just spent some time at Christmas in East London (for the first times since I got in to astronomy). Took my 80mm frac and minitower alt/az so I could show some stuff to the relatives. Whilst they were thrilled with some views of the moon and Jupiter (and even M42, so far as it could be seen given the moonglow), it really struck me just how horrendous the skies are down there. Pink/orange glow to about halfway up the sky and 360 degrees round the horizon, and constant vapour trails/airpalne lights. Makes the views from my backgarden to the east over the centre of York seem like galloway forest! I could barely make out the five major stars in Casseiopeia at all with the naked eye - and thats only 'cos I knew where to look!

So, London astronomers, you have my deepest sympathy and admiration for your persistence! No wonder so many of you turn into imagers!

I've spent some time in the Croydon area of London (yeah i know !!!!!!!!!!..............WHY? you ask................because i have family living there). I have to say that the LP was just horrific. It makes my back garden here in Dublin (20 Km south of the city) seem like i live in the middle of nowhere.

Ive also spent time in Epsom (Surrey) where one of my uncles lives). From the bottom of his street (at the race course), you can see the core of London and it looks like the city has a yellow/orange forcefield surrounding it.

Yep, London is pretty horrible.

Time was, on a good night and well aspected I would be able to see the main stars of Ursa Minor. Not any more, just Polaris and Kokab. As for counting the stars in the Square of Pegasus, forget it, some night it's a mateer of "now where exactly is Pegasus?" :mad:

You can read newspapers at night, very handy! I did get good views from my parents in NE London many years ago, but that took a 16" to push a tiny hole in the glare. I wish people didn't give sympathy, chainsaws and wire cutters may be more use! Some local councils are installing better cutoff lighting and my local one installed shields when I asked them nicely. So things could be worse! I hate dark sites, just can't find my way around!

Thanks

PeterW

Archived