Narrowband

Moon Boxing day night with new Altair 80mm APO

billhinge

After a few weeks of waiting I managed to try out my new Altair 80mm f6 triplet, good news is that when using an eyepiece to view the moon I didn't notice any CA

Unfortunately due to the slightly hazy conditions , LP and the bright moon I didn't get a chance to do any dso's

This is a (over?) processed shot from a single RAW file which has been slightly enlarged, no barlow, I did shoot a few seconds of video as well as many RAW's

I made a bit of a screw up since I left my LP filter attached to the camera which gave a colour cast so I changed the image to gray scale

post-9935-0-20547900-1356607484_thumb.jp

I had a short 10s clip of video at 1920x1280 resolution using my cameras 1:1 binning mode so I stacked the images in the new pixinsight GradientMosaicMerge tool (? - don't ask me, its as beta, no documentation :grin: )

not sure if it works? image is actual size

post-9935-0-69078100-1356617625_thumb.jp

Yes I agree, I prefer the first one as well, just thought I would throw in a stacked image.

I have a load of similar RAWs but I haven't found a suitable way of stacking them on a Mac (I know about Lynkeos but for some reason it seems to work better on planets than the moon)

I bought the Bahtinov mask which had the best fit for my scope, turned out to be one for a Mead f6 80mm on FLO

I love the Altair focuser coming from a Baader steel track on my SCT. I first tried to focus manually on the moon for comparison purposes, then used the Bahtinov on a star. I think there is a noticeable difference between the two approaches

• 2 weeks later...

Archived