Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So... Any Essex astro presents?

knobby

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my initial thought but its the same (or very similar) shape, the problem is the ota is 5" where the 4se was 4"... But what I don't get is that everyone says the 4 and 5se both had the same mount :huh: scratches head!

Hi knobby. I can only assume that the celestron 5se ota has a dovetail that protrudes more as my understanding also is that the same mount is used for the 4 & 5se. I'm still trying to find an image of the 5se dovetail on google while I type this.

I wonder if this might solve the problem for you?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/skywatcher-l-bracket-dovetail.html

Al

Its an option, cheers but I think that it would look a bit 'heath Robinson'

Going to look at taking the cover of the dovetail clamp tomorrow, looks promising though.

still can't believe Rother Valley delivered next day :D and it was free delivery, quality

I think celestron uses the same tripod's\mounts for some of their scope, Ie.. I have the 102GT which has the same mount as the 102XLT which is half the size. The 102gt is the heavy-ist scope for the mount (which causes a world of tracking issues)

As for the dove tall on the new scope is it not as wide as the one on the 4se?

Nearly, thats the 6/8 se mount

its this one http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-nexstar-4se.html

4/5 se

I've got to go to work now (gets in the way doesn't it !) but I'm pretty sure its just the cowelling thats in the way, although everywhere says the 4 and 5 se mounts are the same I suspect the cover over the dovetail clamp is different.

We'll see tonight!

OK... It works with the cover off

post-21341-135776371839_thumb.jpg

Which is good!

But... To balance the tube nicely its so far back that it won't point higher than 75 degrees without hitting the base of the mount :angry:

Luckily I had a nice long look at Jupiter which was well below that :D

And orion neb looked nice too.

I think its pretty much at the limit of the mount, maybe on the lookout for an EQ3 goto

To be honest, very marginal, a bit brighter at high mag. But its definitely better on the Orion neb. Difficult to quantify but I'd say if m dob is a 9 then the 127 is a 5 and the 4se was a 3 :D

Just not sure I can live with the mount?

May have to flog the 4se as a whole unit and put it towards an EQ3 goto

Going by your experience I think I may need to rethink my next upgrade. WIll probably concentrate on a new mount instead before upgrading the optics.

If you're at all into imaging then yep, upgrade the mount first :D

Archived