Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

mik

Setting up EQ mount

Mick,

That's a very good tutorial on setting up and using an EQ mount. Clear and concise. Thanks for posting that for us.

Regards,

Phil Edwards.

i am getting a skywatcher explorer 150 from Santa and i was a bit overwhelmed at the thought of setting up the eq mount (having read through the on-line manual) now though i am sure i will find it easy and actually enjoyable.

i really cant wait for Santa this year, he better not miss our house :smiley:

Thanks eq mounts can be very daunting for the newbie at all becomes clear

when you are shown step by step.

Mick. :smiley:

Thanks for these links Mick. Really clear and easy to understand. I haven't got my telescope yet but when it arrives I'll be ready to go!

Daryl

Wow, what an odd coincidence, and a good "small world" story. I just found & joined this excellent-looking forum two days ago, started browsing, and found . . . me.

Glad that some of you have found that series useful.

Regards

Richard

That was a great read......taught me more on how to correctly find the NCP with my eq mount.

this bit...

http://www.themcdonalds.net/richard/astro/writings/badstart.shtml

had me in stitches....the experienced guys on here must have a good laugh at us newbees at times...see us buy equipment and struggle then sell and buy bigger then struggle some more then buy smaller...

you guys are on here are so patient with people almost like psychiatrists analyzing peoples hastiness and pointing them in the right direction,

Im on a lot of tattoo artists boards where the patience level is on the floor and dont tolerate many DIY enthusiasts due to the safety level of the job but we all have a good laugh at the newbees when they dont infuriate us into bannig them,we keep one topic called "tips and information" (which we were going to erase from the boards) open just for the artists and mods to have a giggle at the crazy questions, how do i`s and how to`s.

Here everyone is cool.

Mike

Are you a tattoo artist Mike? I know what you mean about the 'patience level', they can be a short tempered bunch.

I wish I had read this yesterday. Thanks, the guide is excellent and I have book marked it.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Great guide Richard, I'm sure its going to be a great help to many newcomers to astronomy,

and welcome to SGL.

Roy

Sorry for replying to an old thread but the info on this link is just amazing for a total numpty newbie like myself trying to assemble and then fathom out an EQ Mount on my first ever telescope purchased today

Many thanks for posting it! :hello1:

Have to agree, I've been having a few problems getting to grips with the mount , but this is an excellent tutorial / step by step guide.

RTB

This is the guide I used when I first started with my mount :)

Moderators - the link to this site should be 'stickified'! I found it during a web search after getting my scope and it completely demystified the EQ mount. This is probably the first stumbling block for most newbies, but after literally 5 minutes you realise it's really straightforward.

It'd be really usefull in the 'Beginners Help and Advice' section.

Great link, thanks.

I have printed out the sections and made a little book for future reference.

Much better than the usless manual that came with my EQ5 Pro. :)

Lol the "Starting problems" article was actually so well fictionalised that I actually was starting to think, god help some folk! Lol, and when inspected the title properly the penny dropped! Captured the character perfectly, and I'm sure for alot of us it makes you cringe reading some bits thinking... hmm.. sounds familiar!

Great guide on how to use the EQ mount, much clearer and simplified than any other I've seen, great! :D

Great link! SkyWatcher could just put a link to this in their box instead of their instructions.