Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece help

mik

Hello bit of help needed here spending my money cos i know you are all good at that,

My scope at the moment is the WO Zenithstar 66 Petzval ED..66mm F/6.1 Fl400mm

along with the scope i also have WO 9mm & 20mm 72deg fov eyepieces giving 44x & 20x if ive got that correct,

Ok what i want to do is increase my magnification without the use of a barlow (why diag,eyepiece,barlow,horizon,short legs)think you understand,

I am not sure what this scope can be pushed to mag wise so i thought i would stick to a max of 100/120x i am interested in lunar sketching also i

want to get a better view of the planets i know this is not a planetary scope but i need to improve on what i have at the moment but i do want to get

a quality eyepiece as my aim is to get the bits and change the OTA at a later date but thats another thread for another day.

Right ive had a look at what is available ive looked at ortho's but the eye releif is to short for me so this is my short list.

1 Burgess Optical/TMB Planetary 4mm

2 William Optics UWAN 4mm (this is expensive and a bit wide for what i want)

3 Baader Hyperion 68deg 3.5mm

4 William Optics SPL 3mm (i think this might push the scope a bit)

So its over to you what ya think.

Mick.

4 William Optics SPL 3mm (i think this might push the scope a bit)

I don't :D I think it should be fine at 133x. It's just a hunch, but I think the WO66's optics would cope with that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would imagine your best value for money would be the BO/TMB 4mm, but at only 100x you won't get incredible lunar detail.

Andrew

Years ago I used to use my old (1960's vintage) 60mm F13 Tasco refractor at 133x on double stars and the Moon and it provided pretty good views. I used an old Vixen 6mm Orthoscopic .96 inch eyepiece which seemed pretty good at the time (it had about 1mm eyerelief though :D).

With a decent quality eyepiece I reckon 133x is not asking too much of your WO 66.

John

Archived