SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 7380 - 350D - Comparison With Atik HR16 - Added 16HR image

jcm

This image is taken with the 350D. Its 1 hour ( 15 X 4min ) at F6 and 800 iso. Its fairly faint so its not an easy object.

I hope to take the same object in the next few nights using the Atik 16HR and LRGB filters to compare with the 350D image.

added Atik 16HR image - 18/10/07

John

post-13061-133877332396_thumb.jpg

post-13061-133877332427_thumb.jpg

very nice image John , that one is not easy , thats performed well in my opinion , , not sure how much better the Atik would be , it will be interesting

Rog

Thats why I chose it. I have a gradient removal tool but forgot to use it :D

I'm betting the Atik will be better but the total exposure ( LRGB ) will have to be more than 1 hour.

John

The DSLR has done a great job here. I am sure the Atik will produce a superior image, but I am not sure if it fair to compare the two.

It is a nice image in it's own right John.

Ron.

Yep , your probably right - but I thought it would be interesting just to compare the two.

John

I think its a very fair thing to do, after all, there are folks on the edge of imaging who want to spend the cash wisely. A description of the woes of each image would help as well, as I have an awful time gettng the Nikon to focus correctly.

Kaptain Klevtsov

The DSLR is sooooo.. easy to use. Just let it take 15 exp of 4 mins. Put into ImagesPlus , DDP - ImagesPlus finish off in PhotoShop - done!! ( well nearly that easy )

You have got to use a program like DSLR Focus or ImagesPlus or Astroart or Maxim etc thats got a focussing routine. Accurate auto guiding is important , I have the parameters calculated for different declinations so the guiding is spot on.

John

With a Nikon, you have to buy the control software before DSLR Focus will work, that's another £70. Why people buy these things is beyond me. :lol:

Kaptain Klevtsov

Oh I see - I forgot that most control stuff is designed to work with Canon cameras :D

John

Ok- adding Atik 16HR image.

20 mins each for RGB , 40 mins Luminance. Rather strangely the auto guiding went a bit silly during the luminance frames - the telescope was pointing vertically and as it went passed the meridian the guiding went odd - some change in weight distribution ??

Added this image to the first so a comparison can be made.

Still need a lot more practice doing LRGB :D

John

post-13061-133877332432_thumb.jpg

I was working a F6 - perhaps the focus was not as good on the Atik image - I must admit I focused for the red frames and left the focus at the same position for the others. Also lots of haze on the night I did the Atik frames.

John

Archived