Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrade from eq2

mattyr123

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

I have a skywatcher explorer 130 on an eq2 mount but find stability a major problem. It takes roughly 30 seconds for vibrations to die down after moving or focusing. The latter is real pain; it can take a while to reach good focus with the repeated adjusting, waiting, adjusting...

I want to upgrade the mount. I only use for visual so I don't need (nor can afford!) something too expensive, but I do prefer eq mounts; I tend to stick to one object for quite a while each session.

Would an eq3-2 be a sufficient upgrade or should I be looking for an eq5?

Thanks, Matt

I'd agree. The EQ3-2 would be a definite improvement on the situation you describe with the EQ2, but I reckon you'd still get noticeable vibration after touching the scope. You might get away with it if you added a motorised focuser, but otherwise I'd go for the EQ5.

James

An eq5 or cg5 is the way to go I agree - but if budget is limited you can try one or two things first. Some folks have had sucess filling the legs with fine sand or slinging a weight under the tray. A quick tighten up of the leg bolts where they fix to the mount helps - and you can try vibration damping under the feet. But it's all a bit messy - get a second hand eq5/cg5 in good nick - should only be circa £100 depending on age and condition. :)

Archived