Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Astro presents will be under the tree this year?

Si W

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely delighted to get, from my dear wife, a 1st Edition (1807) of Jeremiah Joyce's

SCIENTIFIC DIALOGUES

intended for the

INSTRUCTION AND ENTERTAINMENT

of

YOUNG PEOPLE

in which the

FIRST PRINCIPLES

of

NATURAL AND EXPERIMENTAL

PHILOSOPHY

are fully explained

Vol II , OF ASTRONOMY

Fascinating little book, written when most astronomers wanted to call the planet "Herschel", Herschel wanted to call it "Georgium Sidus", and "Uranus" had not even been suggested! Explanations of everything from the Equation of Time through the Hrevest Moon phenomenon to Tides (far better than the explanation of tides that was attempted on a popular TV programme a year ago!), plus descriptive accounts of the solar system and "fixxed stars" as they were known at the time.

I got

making every photon count

piggy back for the scope

baader finderscope shoe

qhy5v and adapter to connect it to my 9x50 findescope

only had a quick skim through the book with it being so busy, but i'll get down to reading properly soon

had an hour out trying the qhy5v, managed a fairly decent image of jupiter too before the clouds started rolling in again

Got lots of good stuff from the family. Wonders of the Solar System book (Already have Wonders of the Universe); The Wonders Collection on BluRay; Patrick Moore's Yearbook of Astronomy 2013 (probably the last one to bear his name). A mirror image moon map; Philips moon observers guide and some seriously warm outdoor clothes.

Now all we need is a break in these clouds! Merry Saturnalia to you all.

I got a Canon 1100D. well made up, I know have a Decent camera for Astro imaging with the scope and piggybacking on the scope as well, but also I can use it for other non Astro stuff, holidays etc.

I got a startravel 102 as a grab & go scope plus 2 hours observing last night with it.

Really amazed at the views of the moon & Jupiter. Quite blown away with the detail Jupiter was giving me with a bonus Io transit.

I saw that Christmas night transit too!

It got a bit fiddly as Jupiter was really close to the moon for me.

Some really weird effects in the EP looking through a halo around the moon too.

I got my LP filter and an orange planetary filter.

Also got the Sir Patrick Moore 2013 yearbook, which is really good!

Got a 2x barlow lens and a moon filter, a documentary and a interesting book about the universe, and a invitation to stay with my aunts mother who loves astronomy and lives in Cornwall which will have much, much, much less light pollution than where I am.

Archived