Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep25_banner.thumb.jpg.9e57eee22cad68fd6b67a87befeaa79b.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
kev

Observatory Monitoring...

Hi All

Ive had what may or may not be an original idea whilst working out ways to monitor my pond, but it also works for observatories and other bits too.

If you have a PC running in the facility, then you can add a webcam to monitor it, load skype, set it to auto answer - with a video call, You can then make a skype call from your home pc, or iphone etc, to check on it. Eg did I really close up ....

Ive also found a peice of software that will allow multiple cameras into skype.. so you cold get eg a view inside, outside, and of the general area.

Just a thought for anyo9ne interested!

Seasons greetings

kev

I have a pond and observatory on the same site! No, I didn't build my obsy in a pond but the area I dug out for the foundations of the obsy is now a pond! :( I've renameed my obsy "The Ark" :D

• Like 2

Hi All

Ive had what may or may not be an original idea whilst working out ways to monitor my pond, but it also works for observatories and other bits too.

If you have a PC running in the facility, then you can add a webcam to monitor it, load skype, set it to auto answer - with a video call, You can then make a skype call from your home pc, or iphone etc, to check on it. Eg did I really close up ....

Ive also found a peice of software that will allow multiple cameras into skype.. so you cold get eg a view inside, outside, and of the general area.

Just a thought for anyo9ne interested!

Seasons greetings

kev

You leave a PC in your observatory all the time? Wow, you're a brave man!

You could also use a Raspeberry PI as a CCTV system, very low cost and can be well hidden :)

Check out the PI forums for some how-to's.