Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

x6gas

M33 Triangulum Galaxy

Still learning and with the rain and cloud I've gone back to the data of M33 I captured last month.

This isn't a full reprocess - may yet do that - but this is sharpened with a high pass filter layer with colours tweaked a bit...

gallery_11821_2145_241282.png

Very nice :)

• Like 1

Very nice core detail, although the core looks a little over sharped in relation to the background and star field.

Mike.

• Like 1

looking good, star shapes are nice, maybe a little over sharpened though

Nicely captured

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Velvet, Kid Rok, Peter, Jack, Gina and Mike!

Considering where I started I am quite happy with this - the original data is quite soft due to the poor conditions (high cloud and fireworks!) when I acquired the data.

Mike - now you point it out, you're right. This is LLRGB but when I stretched the Lum the background was quite noisy so I applied it selectively using a mask... but I think I may have blurred the LRGB before which means the background is a bit incongruous... The high pass filter was also applied selectively using a mask...

There is also some haloing on the stars in the galaxy from the L-R deconvolution so when I run this again I'll be careful to avoid that...

looking good, star shapes are nice, maybe a little over sharpened though

Nicely captured

Paul

Thanks Paul - as Mike mentions above I think there is a difference in sharpening between the galactic core and the star field... so I'll try to address that if an when I do another full process of the data...

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I've had yet another go a processing this data - kinda feel that I am going round in circles now, but I learn something every time so at some point it will hopefully come together!

I've tried to take the comments above into account, but found I had too much noise in the background, so I've tried to treat that with a blended layer..

gallery_11821_2145_251053.png

Edited by x6gas

Very nice indeed :)

• Like 1

Nice picture and a big improvement on the original.

Thanks Andrew. It's been a steep learning curve but I am getting better at this image processing lark. The original image is actually here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/167649-m33-traingulum-galaxy-lrgb/page__hl__+m33#entry1701398

So I am pleased with the progress and the results given that the original data was compromised by relatively poor conditions...

Good effort ... I prefer the colour on the first with the stars from the second.. :)

• Like 1

Good effort ... I prefer the colour on the first with the stars from the second.. :)

Ha! Actually I'm not crazy about the colours on any of my attempts to process this. I'm struggling to get much star colour and I see some M33 images with stunning magenta in the spiral arms which I am completely unable to replicate.

Very good I like it :) I love this galaxy. You should have a go at M81 as well.

Which of your scopes did you use to image it?

Steve

• Like 1

lovley... Id be well happy with that

Thanks Moon Monkey. I'm sure that f/4 newt is an awesome astrograph...

• Like 1

Thanks Moon Monkey. I'm sure that f/4 newt is an awesome astrograph...

It would be if I could ever see any bloomin stars ;) .... and I think im the week link in the imaging train ;) lol

No it's the weather! :( :(

• Like 2

Very good I like it :) I love this galaxy. You should have a go at M81 as well.

Which of your scopes did you use to image it?

Steve

Thanks Steve.

To be honest, I've can count the number of nights imaging I've managed this year on the fingers of one hand so I'd be happy having a go at anything right now!

This was imaged using my TS90 APO - which is my main DSO imaging scope. It also sits quite happily on my CG-5 which is easier to get in and out in this dodgy weather. The HD11 has seen almost no action at all this year (well it's been carried outside a good few times, but then pretty much carried straight back in again!