SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

FINALLY converted my Canon .MOV to AVI!....but....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been following this with interest, as i have the same problems with my 650d. When i bought it i naively thought it would make planetary capture more simple! So far i have not been able to do anything with my mov files despite trying several conversion methods. R6 just wont open the converted files, very frustrating indeed. I suspect there must be a growing and sizable number of people with the same problem!

I will try some of the options discussed above, and let you know if i have any success.

Many thanks

Martin

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

I have been following this with interest, as i have the same problems with my 650d. When i bought it i naively thought it would make planetary capture more simple! So far i have not been able to do anything with my mov files despite trying several conversion methods. R6 just wont open the converted files, very frustrating indeed. I suspect there must be a growing and sizable number of people with the same problem!

I will try some of the options discussed above, and let you know if i have any success.

Many thanks

Martin

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Martin :)

yes it is annoying isn't it :( hopefully we will come to a result, well a free result soon lol

Martin

there is a program called "EOS camera movie recorder that i'm told records from your canon camera in avi format but this means having a laptop out with you. i've got it on my laptop but weather hasn't let me use it yet. i'll let you know how i get on if i ever get a chance.

Scott

there is a program called "EOS camera movie recorder that i'm told records from your canon camera in avi format but this means having a laptop out with you. i've got it on my laptop but weather hasn't let me use it yet. i'll let you know how i get on if i ever get a chance.

Scott

thanks will try that also, ill let you know if i test sooner

Scott

I find it hard to imaging anybody trying to do planetary imaging without a laptop, it would just about be impossible to get the accurate focus that planetary imaging requires without a decent sized display.

well i just got another 30 day trial of back yard eos, just done a test recording and it saves the AVI as AVI (DIB) which PIPP does accept :) just the program costs £19 has got some nice options tho that will be handy...

I have a paid for copy of BackyardEOS that I use for solar and lunar imaging with my 450D, though I just capture raw stills not video. It does cost £19 but I think it is a great piece of software and good value at that price.

Cheers,

Chris

I find it hard to imaging anybody trying to do planetary imaging without a laptop, it would just about be impossible to get the accurate focus that planetary imaging requires without a decent sized display.

I have a paid for copy of BackyardEOS that I use for solar and lunar imaging with my 450D, though I just capture raw stills not video. It does cost £19 but I think it is a great piece of software and good value at that price.

Cheers,

Chris

Certainly not impossible garry, every one of my images/AVI's have all been without the aid of a laptop but im really feeling the ease of the laptop now, with a couple of 5m usb leads i could have my syncan connected to my laptop via stellarium to control/slew my scope :) then i could have my dslr connected also to the laptop via backyard eos, so i could be in the warmth of my living room watching tv etc while observing/imaging on my laptop! NOW THAT WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!! lol no more feeezing my nuts off and that is worth £19 :D

• 4 weeks later...

Finally! (This may have been covered somewhere else by now....)

Canon MOV to AVI conversion (I believe this is lossless), courtesy of:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/NewDSLR/index.html#Video

Scroll down to the Lunar and Planetary Video Astronomy with Canon DSLRs section for information.

I used WinFF to convert my EOS650D MOV files to AVI which Registax6 was then able to process - so no more need to drag the laptop out to accompany the DSLR if you don't want to.

I understand that the supplied Canon software may be able to do something similar but this method works for me.

Happy days

Martin

Finally! (This may have been covered somewhere else by now....)

Canon MOV to AVI conversion (I believe this is lossless), courtesy of:

http://www.covington...ndex.html#Video

Scroll down to the Lunar and Planetary Video Astronomy with Canon DSLRs section for information.

I used WinFF to convert my EOS650D MOV files to AVI which Registax6 was then able to process - so no more need to drag the laptop out to accompany the DSLR if you don't want to.

I understand that the supplied Canon software may be able to do something similar but this method works for me.

Happy days

Martin

Morning Mart :)

sounds very promising my friend!!! GREAT find if this works as nothing as of yes does lol will test it out on a .mov later and see what the results are like, i swear i tried the canon software and that didnt work for some reason, only way i found was to record via backyard EOS, so very nice find and hopefully this should help out loads of people :)

Martin

I have asked this elsewhere on the forum, but thought I would try again here. I am working on adding support to PIPP for Canon MOV files (plus many other formats) and need some example MOV files for testing. Does anyone have a MOV file or two they would be willing to share with me so I can push on with this functionality?

Also, there is a free alternative to backyardEOS for capturing AVI files. I have not tried this myself but steppenwolf posted a link to it:

EOS Camera Movie Record

Cheers,

Chris

I have asked this elsewhere on the forum, but thought I would try again here. I am working on adding support to PIPP for Canon MOV files (plus many other formats) and need some example MOV files for testing. Does anyone have a MOV file or two they would be willing to share with me so I can push on with this functionality?

Also, there is a free alternative to backyardEOS for capturing AVI files. I have not tried this myself but steppenwolf posted a link to it:

EOS Camera Movie Record

Cheers,

Chris

Morning Garry :D

not a problem at all i will send you a few mov's in a mo (just cooking my bacon sarny) can you send me your email and ill get them to you in 10 garry

Martin

Morning Mart :)

sounds very promising my friend!!! GREAT find if this works as nothing as of yes does lol will test it out on a .mov later and see what the results are like, i swear i tried the canon software and that didnt work for some reason, only way i found was to record via backyard EOS, so very nice find and hopefully this should help out loads of people :)

Martin

Well it had been bugging me so much I had to share it......

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

That free alternatice to backyard EOS seems worth a look too.

Martin

Well no need to worry very soon, as i sent some test MOV files to Chris/CGarry earlier to work on with PIPP and all went very well with no problems AT ALL! :D converted the .MOV into AVI via PIPP and then a quick 5 min play with in R6 and this was from my MOV footage (40secs) converted in PIPP :D

200% image resize only played about for less then 5 mins with it, so cant wait to get more data when ever that might be..... :(

8413687971_982bb40c9f_o.png

MVI_3957_pipp & R6 & PS from CGARRY 200% resize (PNG) by tingting44, on Flickr

so very good to know there will be an updated version of PIPP soon which accepts and crunches .MOV's for breakfast lool :D top work Chris :)

Archived