Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FINALLY converted my Canon .MOV to AVI!....but....

Hey guys ive finally found a program to convert my .MOV Canon video file of jupiter i took ages ago to an AVI file so i can put it through PIPP, the program i had all along lol its the software that comes on the canon disk called ZoomBrowser EX (thanks james lol) just exported it to AVI, so i now have my avi sorted, entered into pipp but im now getting this error when i try to start PIPP with the avi file grhhhhh, any suggestions ? the error msg means nothing to me :(

8294614301_d568d9975b_c.jpg

error by tingting44, on Flickr

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm converting my canon files in the same way as you do.

Get the same error message too! I'm wondering if there is another program which will convert to an avi that will work in PIPP? If you find a solution please let me know.

Thanks

Carol

Best bet would be PM 'cgarry' . . . . It's his baby . . .

Steve.

Thanks, is he the creator? messaging him now :)

Hi, I'm converting my canon files in the same way as you do.

Get the same error message too! I'm wondering if there is another program which will convert to an avi that will work in PIPP? If you find a solution please let me know.

Thanks

Carol

Hey Carol, its soooo frustrating isnt it :( its really doing my head in now, just to do a simple avi convert, my god :(

as soon as i find out what the problem is and how to fix ill let you know asap, as it must be doing your head in aswell lol :(

one thing i notice that zoom browser EX does when converting the MOV to AVI is the AVI is actually a MJPEG (motion jpeg) and its the MJPEG that pipp is having a fit about and giving error msg :(

Hi tingting,

Yes it can get frustrating but it's all part of the fun that is AP! :D

I did notice that zoom browser converts to MJPEG, that's why I wondered if it's just the wrong conversion programme to use for PIPP? I've been using Registax 5 (not so keen on Registax 6) for a while now and it will stack the MJPEG files produced by zoom browser no problem with some good results. But I've also noticed on the forum that many use PIPP then Autostakkert 2 to process their data which seemes to pull out lots of detail in their images. I'd love to try it to see what sort of results I'd get but ........and you've guessed it...... the MJPEG files won't work in Autostakkert!

What camera are you using? I have a Canon 550D and I get my data eyepiece projection using the hyperion zoom set at about 16mm and recording on cropped movie mode. I've got loads of Jupiter images using my 8" orion optics dob (tracking manually for 2 mins).It is tricky to keep the planet on screen for 2 mins, it moves around a lot! But Registax can cope with the movement. I wonder if I could get better results if I ran it through PIPP first then stack in Registax or Autosatkkert. This is one of my images so you can see what I'm getting.

8231281054_2ed834ce0c.jpg

I have been using the same set up (hyperion zoom and cropped movie mode) with my SW120ED on HEQ5 mount and this is the best I've got. It is sharper that the one taken with the dob but I'm sure I could get more detail from the data. Just got to practice processing! lol Btw, all processing for these was done in zoom browser.

8267412287_5acfbb1a10.jpg

All the best.

Carol

Hi tingting44,

This has come up a few times now. The MJPG codec is a lossy codec (each frame is stored as a JPEG image in the AVI container) and is therefore not really suitable for planetary imaging where you want to keep all the detail you capture. Not adding support for MJPG to PIPP was a deliberate decision so that users would not get into the habit of using unsuitable codecs that would produce inferior results. With hindsight it is probably not really PIPP's place to police the the type of codec people want to use, so I may add support for the MJPG codec in the future and just warn the user that it is not a good choice.

Can the conversion software use a different codec for the AVI file it generates? DIB, YUY2 or YUYV would all be good choices.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi tingting44,

This has come up a few times now. The MJPG codec is a lossy codec (each frame is stored as a JPEG image in the AVI container) and is therefore not really suitable for planetary imaging where you want to keep all the detail you capture. Not adding support for MJPG to PIPP was a deliberate decision so that users would not get into the habit of using unsuitable codecs that would produce inferior results. With hindsight it is probably not really PIPP's place to police the the type of codec people want to use, so I may add support for the MJPG codec in the future and just warn the user that it is not a good choice.

Can the conversion software use a different codec for the AVI file it generates? DIB, YUY2 or YUYV would all be good choices.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks very much for the info Chris, I didn't know that! I checked Zoom Browser and it has only two options, convert to MOV (H.264) or MJPEG . Can you suggest a programme which will do a good job of converting Canon movie files to avi ( i don't have photoshop!)

Thanks

Carol

Thanks very much for the info Chris, I didn't know that! I checked Zoom Browser and it has only two options, convert to MOV (H.264) or MJPEG . Can you suggest a programme which will do a good job of converting Canon movie files to avi ( i don't have photoshop!)

Thanks

Carol

Hi Carol,

That is interesting, I didn't know the Zoom Browser only had those two options. I don't know of a program that converts to .mov to .avi with a lossless codec, but I have never done this particular conversion myself. I would be interested if anybody does know of a suitable conversion program.

I believe BackyardEOS can capture video from a Canon camera directly in a suitable AVI format. It is probably worth evaluating.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi tingting,

Yes it can get frustrating but it's all part of the fun that is AP! :D

I did notice that zoom browser converts to MJPEG, that's why I wondered if it's just the wrong conversion programme to use for PIPP? I've been using Registax 5 (not so keen on Registax 6) for a while now and it will stack the MJPEG files produced by zoom browser no problem with some good results. But I've also noticed on the forum that many use PIPP then Autostakkert 2 to process their data which seemes to pull out lots of detail in their images. I'd love to try it to see what sort of results I'd get but ........and you've guessed it...... the MJPEG files won't work in Autostakkert!

What camera are you using? I have a Canon 550D and I get my data eyepiece projection using the hyperion zoom set at about 16mm and recording on cropped movie mode. I've got loads of Jupiter images using my 8" orion optics dob (tracking manually for 2 mins).It is tricky to keep the planet on screen for 2 mins, it moves around a lot! But Registax can cope with the movement. I wonder if I could get better results if I ran it through PIPP first then stack in Registax or Autosatkkert. This is one of my images so you can see what I'm getting.

8231281054_2ed834ce0c.jpg

I have been using the same set up (hyperion zoom and cropped movie mode) with my SW120ED on HEQ5 mount and this is the best I've got. It is sharper that the one taken with the dob but I'm sure I could get more detail from the data. Just got to practice processing! lol Btw, all processing for these was done in zoom browser.

8267412287_5acfbb1a10.jpg

All the best.

Carol

hi carol your right its all part of the fun lol :D

ive got a 7D so no crop movie mode :( which sucks a bit

your results are amazing!! with just chucking the Mjpeg straight into Registax! i tried that twice today and all i get out of 1000+ frames is a white sploge streaking across the screen, really annoying as i cant figure out why its not stacking correct? :(

again carol stunning shot of jupiter with the moons , really nice

Hi tingting44,

Cheers,

Chris

thanks for the reply, no all i can generate is mjpeg, its a real pain :(

i also tried backyard eos a while ago when i 1st started but my trial run out and you have to pay for that, i will keep searching for a free solution to this rather annoying/fun AP problem loool hopefully soonish

Hi Carol,

That is interesting, I didn't know the Zoom Browser only had those two options. I don't know of a program that converts to .mov to .avi with a lossless codec, but I have never done this particular conversion myself. I would be interested if anybody does know of a suitable conversion program.

I believe BackyardEOS can capture video from a Canon camera directly in a suitable AVI format. It is probably worth evaluating.

Cheers,

Chris

thanks bud, if i had to spend out for backyard eos i think id rather add the few pennies and get an spc900 and just forget about these .mov files lol

well just ended up shoving the converted mov (via zoom) in to R6, it picked the best 50% of frames (1 min AVI @ 30fps so roughly 1600 frames) i ended up with 498 frames to stack with, this is what i got, not sure if i like it better from the avi or the picture (in my avator) it was my 1st video stack attempt tho so if i ever get a clear night soon will take a lot more footage, caught a couple of jupiter's moons by the looks of it also

i might have over cooked the wavelets/editing etc....

8297535993_427684704a.jpg

MVI_3957 1st time!!! (498 frames stacked - WAVELETS & PS done) by tingting44, on Flickr

ps. would anyone know how to find out the names of the moons?...id like to add the names of them on the pic like you see on some pics, i like the added info of the shots i see like that

Thanks tingting,

Those are the best Jupiter images I've got to date, was pleased at how they turned out :)

I'm no expert in Registax 5 but have found that chosing compress and stacking by centre of gravity gives me the best results. Have you tried stacking by centre of gravity?

Have you heard of Jerry Lodriguss? I've been reading a few of his blogs on planetry imaging with a canon 550d on cropped movie mode to see if i could find out how he converts his mov files to avi http://www.astropix....03/23/saturn-2/

After a bit of digging on his website I found this comment on one of his images "The video was converted to AVI format with Rad Video Tools. It then had to be re-saved in old AVI format in VirtualDub so it could be opened and processed in Registax v5." and on aonther he said "The video was converted to AVI format with Super and processed in Registax v5." So that's three more programmes to check out when I get the chance.

I noticed he used EOS movie record instead of the cropped movie mode to record his data for this image, maybe worth checking out as an alternative to backyard EOS? http://www.astropix....listo-ganymede/

Anyway, these are just a couple of possible solutions i thought I'd share. Hope they turn out to be helpful!

All the best

Carol

well just ended up shoving the converted mov (via zoom) in to R6, it picked the best 50% of frames (1 min AVI @ 30fps so roughly 1600 frames) i ended up with 498 frames to stack with, this is what i got, not sure if i like it better from the avi or the picture (in my avator) it was my 1st video stack attempt tho so if i ever get a clear night soon will take a lot more footage, caught a couple of jupiter's moons by the looks of it also

i might have over cooked the wavelets/editing etc....

8297535993_427684704a.jpg

MVI_3957 1st time!!! (498 frames stacked - WAVELETS & PS done) by tingting44, on Flickr

ps. would anyone know how to find out the names of the moons?...id like to add the names of them on the pic like you see on some pics, i like the added info of the shots i see like that

Hi tingting,

Excellent first video stack. Taking more frames will make a big difference, try for 2 mins of data the next time.

Look forward to seeing attempt no 2!

Carol

Thanks tingting,

Those are the best Jupiter images I've got to date, was pleased at how they turned out :)

I'm no expert in Registax 5 but have found that chosing compress and stacking by centre of gravity gives me the best results. Have you tried stacking by centre of gravity?

Have you heard of Jerry Lodriguss? I've been reading a few of his blogs on planetry imaging with a canon 550d on cropped movie mode to see if i could find out how he converts his mov files to avi http://www.astropix....03/23/saturn-2/

After a bit of digging on his website I found this comment on one of his images "The video was converted to AVI format with Rad Video Tools. It then had to be re-saved in old AVI format in VirtualDub so it could be opened and processed in Registax v5." and on aonther he said "The video was converted to AVI format with Super and processed in Registax v5." So that's three more programmes to check out when I get the chance.

I noticed he used EOS movie record instead of the cropped movie mode to record his data for this image, maybe worth checking out as an alternative to backyard EOS? http://www.astropix....listo-ganymede/

Anyway, these are just a couple of possible solutions i thought I'd share. Hope they turn out to be helpful!

All the best

Carol

no not heard of Jerry Lodriguss before i will look it up, thanks carol :)

Hi tingting,

Excellent first video stack. Taking more frames will make a big difference, try for 2 mins of data the next time.

Look forward to seeing attempt no 2!

Carol

aww thanks for the kind comment carol :) i will indeed go for a double length next time at 2 mins, when that might be with these clouds lol

oh thanks for that link above Baz mate, very nice to use

here is the pic with a bit of added info....need to learn how to add a nice border lol

8298755128_91e9d6ea6b.jpg

MVI_3957 1st time!!! (498 frames stacked - WAVELETS & PS done) ADDED INFO for moons by tingting44, on Flickr

cant wait for 2nd attempt now lol :)

Hi what is "cropped movie mode"?

With all these conversions are we loosing quality?

crop movie mode just cuts out the outskirts of the sensor i think and just records the middle bit so to speak, im not too sure as mine does not have it, but it gets the size of your image bigger from the crop mode which is good when trying to image the tiny sized photons hitting the sensor

good question about losing quality, we must be losing quality right with converting .mov to avi...?

Hmm

Converted the Canon .mov to .avi in MPEG Streamclip 1.2 from Square5.com; this would not play in AviStack2 nor AutoStakert2, so...........ran the file through VirtualDub-1.9.11 and it is now crunching through AviStack - time will tell what happens.

Not sure about drop in quality due to all his converting.

really thinking about getting this backyard eos, i used the trial when i was very new to AP, only used it once and found i could do most stuff from the camera so just didnt end up using it much? but i think id like to image from inside using back yard eos and a 5m usb and if it record the video in AVI a bonus too

Archived