SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommend an A4 (ish) sized dew-proof Star Atlas

Dellis

As the title says I'm looking for a star atlas that I don't have to worry about being ruined by damp, I currently use a set of laminated Telrad marked charts for the Messier objects but I'd like something with a bit more detail. I have atlases, my favourite being Sky Atlas 2000.0 desk version, but none I could happily leave to get wet.

So what would you suggest I go for?

Thanks

Dave

My suggestion would be S&T Pocket Sky Atlas, SkyAtlas 2000.0 Field Edition, or JR's TriAtlas http://www.uv.es/jrt...s/triatlas.html printed out and laminated. Only the last of these would be A4 and waterproof, but I can tell you from experience that the other two are both highly dew-resistant (though one is smaller than A4 and the other is larger).

I use deeper atlases for observing (Uranometria or Great Atlas Of The Sky) but still use the S&T Pocket with the finder, and after a night's observing I just let it dry out if need be.

As long as paper is reasonably thick it won't get damaged by dew (thin paper tears easily when wet). Book bindings can be susceptible to dew damage, but S&T Pocket is spiral-bound and Sky Atlas Field is on separate thick sheets - mine have been blown around in wet fields and have survived. Uranometria is bound but my volumes have survived perfectly well, with just a bit of expansion and unevenness of pages.

If you're nervous about papers dewing then just keep them covered when not in use.

My suggestion would be S&T Pocket Sky Atlas, SkyAtlas 2000.0 Field Edition, or JR's TriAtlas http://www.uv.es/jrt...s/triatlas.html printed out and laminated. Only the last of these would be A4 and waterproof, but I can tell you from experience that the other two are both highly dew-resistant (though one is smaller than A4 and the other is larger).

I use deeper atlases for observing (Uranometria or Great Atlas Of The Sky) but still use the S&T Pocket with the finder, and after a night's observing I just let it dry out if need be.

As long as paper is reasonably thick it won't get damaged by dew (thin paper tears easily when wet). Book bindings can be susceptible to dew damage, but S&T Pocket is spiral-bound and Sky Atlas Field is on separate thick sheets - mine have been blown around in wet fields and have survived. Uranometria is bound but my volumes have survived perfectly well, with just a bit of expansion and unevenness of pages.

If you're nervous about papers dewing then just keep them covered when not in use.

I made an A4 copy of that "tri atlas" and laminated it ..... that's when I discovered I needed reading glasses!! the problem was solved in 2 ways, a visit to Specsavers and a reprint at A3 size!! :p

When I bought the SkyAtlas 2000, I liked the desk version with the colors and have had it now for 28 years and though it is a little tattered from lots of use outside, it has stood up to many moist nights :rolleyes:

I am a big fan of the S@T A5 Atlas.

Another good tip is to go here:

http://www.solarius....messier_finders

....download them all and laminate them. Thats what many of us have done and I love them.

They're the charts I referenced in my opening post and I agree they are excellent.

When I bought the SkyAtlas 2000, I liked the desk version with the colors and have had it now for 28 years and though it is a little tattered from lots of use outside, it has stood up to many moist nights :rolleyes:

That's a good enough recommendation for me to stick with what I've got.

Thanks all

Dave

Got the kindle version of S&T atlas , converted to PDF , printed the charts only on A4 white card and placed in plastic sleeves in a folder .

Works a treat , when I saw the atlas in the "flesh" at our local book shop , it did appear far too small for me and the pages far too thin

for the money they were asking for it . Mind you once I paid for card ,ink , sleeves and folder , I was probably even more out of pocket

but I now feel I've got something that will last a while . The charts are very good though .

I am a big fan of the S@T A5 Atlas.

Another good tip is to go here:

http://www.solarius....messier_finders

....download them all and laminate them. Thats what many of us have done and I love them.

Just had a look at those, great find :). Could you put them in all in a zip file and then put it on dropbox? I don't want to have to click on each one...

Much apprieciated!

Archived