SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

going for broke

focuser on my 130eq has so much slop in it hard to collimate right so pulled it out to shim with teflon tape. Mirror needs center spot so mirror has to come out.. With this said, deceided to just remove secondary mirror and finder scopes and flock inside tube. Think amI sure of what am doing, any thing I should watch out for? the do's and dont do's.

Take the primary out too or you'll get it covered in bits from the flocking material. A very light spray of atomised water on the inside of the tube before putting the flocking material in allows you to position it before it sticks firm. When complete leave to dry out for 48hrs in a warm room so the water evapourates leaving just the adhesive sticking it to the tube. Smooth down periodically. You can respot the primary during that time. Hth :)

Okay now have the 130EQ stripped on wifes kitchen table. Was a lot easy so far than thought. will try to post some pics later so newbies like me will know what the mirror mount and all look like out of scope. checked focuser it has 0.06" [1.5MM] total side play when extended half way. Will shim this with teflon tape strips. Will report back when flocking is done. it is next on list.....

A tip I saw in a video was to use the brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner hose and give the flock a good going over with it once it is in place. This will remove any loose particles and also make them stand on end so they increase the light absorbing effect. Probably best done before putting any mirrors back in, definitely without the primary.

okay update, first all thanks again for all the help. secondary mirror in the 130eq is a pain in the butt to align. the screws it stands off of stick out about 1" [25mm] from the secondary mirror mount. So what is happening as you turn one screw it tends to want to rotated the mirror. Will remove and place a nylon washer between mirror mount and holder. also at same time, will take a piece of alum. drill holes to match those on secondary to form a guide for screw, will attach nylon to this. with this screws will no be able to rotate mirror and holes in alum will keep screws aligned since the stick out so much. Hope to post pictures later.... by the way, flocking a 5" scope is not for the week of heart.....lol. Merry Christmasl all, figure all that got scope related stuff for chrismas will not be any good weather for viewing for some time.

Archived