Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

magnification for lunar 100 observation.

rory

im going to start looking at our moon with more than just a passing glance, rather than curse the moon for washing out the skies, i thought i might as well take advantage. so with the lunar 100 chalenge, are there objects that require very high magnification ? i currently go up to x171, but could add a 6mm to give x200 ,but only if really needed.

interested in your experiences, thanks.

(sorry ,meant for lunar observing section ) :icon_redface:

I can currently go up to 200x and I can spot most of the lunars just fine. I agree you'll be just dandy at 171x.

only 200x, feeling a little smug as i can go to 430 with no barlow, if the seeing ever allowed!!! thats with the skymax 180 pro and a 6.3mm ep and the 3.2mm HR planetary ep gives over 800x if only we could use this kind of power. the best practical power i have done is a straight 300x with the antares 105 but that was at its limit

• 1 month later...

There is a map associated with the lunar 100, which you can print out, it/ a good starting point. I manage to get a fair chunk of the lunar 100 using an 80mm refractor (st80) at a max of 160x, although there is a number of items for which you do not need any instruments or even just a pair of 8 to 15x binos.

Archived