Beginner' scope and books, which of these?

To my surprise, I found a few hands-on astronomy for beginers books in my wife's wishlist for Xmas.

So, I thought of giving her as a present the book and an inexpensive portable teelscope.

I have found three models which might fit the bill, and I think she wold like the first one , the infinity 76, also for involving our little one. But the lack of interchangeable standard optics puts me off, and also the perhaps limited magnification (35X, but perhaps it's just fine, not sure)

Infinity 76 Deluxe 76mm (3") Newtonian Reflector kit

Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dobsonian

Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (this is more expensive, but comes with an ND filter for full phase moon, and a viewfiender)

I was wondering if there is a clear winner between them, and if there are any accessories I might need to get.

I understand the infinity has no standard mount, and uncertain if that means she won't be able to get additional optics (great magnification?)

I also had a look to this, a bit over my budget, what are the main advantages compared to the 76mm?

I guess if she really gets into astronomy, it would last her longer than the 76mm?

Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

Also, if anybody is familiar with these well rated beginner texts, could you please advise which one to get?

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide

by Terence Dickinson (Hardcover)

Turn Left at Orion: Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope - and How to Find Them

by Guy Consolmagno (Spiral-bound)

Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe

by Terence Dickinson (Hardcover)

Thanks so much, sorry for registering when I can contribute little.

I find astronomy fascinating but I know nothing about it, and I am bit confused right now.

Aldo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, it all depends on how far she'd like to take it, the 3" is ok for a bit of basic stargazing, but IMO wont keep her interest long, as for the 130p, its a good starter scope & will show many great objects, including the 4 moons & cloud bands of Jupiter (with the 76 I think all you'll get is a bright disk). The 130p is going to 'last a great deal longer interest wise. As for the book I'd go for 'Turn left at Orion......' Its highly recommended here. Good luck with your choice.

Steve.

First off, welcome to the forum.

Another vote for the 130p flex. Great little scope. As well as giving you a great starter scope, it'll keep as a great grab n go if you ever decide to go further with the hobby, and get a larger scope.

Turn left at Orion comes as a highly recommended book although I must admit I've never used it myself.

Thanks so much, so many replies, much appreciated :)

I see that opinions are unanimous, I hope I can manage to stretch my budget and I'll get Turn Left at Orion for sure.

Otherwise, if II realize I can't possibly spend that much on time for Xmas, are the 76 three I listed pretty much equivalent?

And, sorry for the further question, is some contraption available to attach a camera to the scope?

I am sure somepoint she'll want to do that :)

Thanks again!

Honestly, I would not chose 76, as you can get much more use out of a decent set of binoculars in that price range. The 130p is enough of a scope to outshine binoculars in light gathering aspect and you can swap eyepieces for magnification.

Binoculars might not seem as good as a scope, but they give wonderful wide views, and you can detect a lot of stuff easier in binos if the sky is dark. And they're very easy to handle.

Regarding cameras, you're refering to a DSLR? There are adapters to screw on a DSLR to a scope focuser, however I'm not sure how sturdy the focuser and truss of the 130p is (or what adapter is needed). Hopefully someone can shed light on this. Point and shoot cameras can easily be held up to the eyepiece to snap off moon pictures otherwise.

Let me just give a heads up that apart from taking pictures of bright objects like the moon and maybe jupiter, astrophotography requires an expensive mount that steadily track the stars. So if the missus decides to go down that path, god have mercy on your wallet ;)

Honestly, I would not chose 76, as you can get much more use out of a decent set of binoculars in that price range. The 130p is enough of a scope to outshine binoculars in light gathering aspect and you can swap eyepieces for magnification.

Binoculars might not seem as good as a scope, but they give wonderful wide views, and you can detect a lot of stuff easier in binos if the sky is dark. And they're very easy to handle.

Regarding cameras, you're refering to a DSLR? There are adapters to screw on a DSLR to a scope focuser, however I'm not sure how sturdy the focuser and truss of the 130p is (or what adapter is needed). Hopefully someone can shed light on this. Point and shoot cameras can easily be held up to the eyepiece to snap off moon pictures otherwise.

Let me just give a heads up that apart from taking pictures of bright objects like the moon and maybe jupiter, astrophotography requires an expensive mount that steadily track the stars. So if the missus decides to go down that path, god have mercy on your wallet ;)

LOL like with most hobbies, a slow descent into bankruptcy awaits me :)

Thanks Carl, actually, having seen the auto-tracking features in some of the most expensive models, I should have guessed they weren't there just to show off.

Thanks so much for all the info. We have both my slr and a digicam.

I have seen some second hand models with tracking at pretty much the same price of 130p new, but I think, at least for her first scope, weight might be an issue for her. Our garden is detached and I don't imagine her carrying anything heavier than the 6kg of the 130p, and the fact that it slides in to save space is attractive as well, somethign she could put in her backpack.

Speaking of which, the binoculars option you mention is interesting. Just, in my ignorance I understood that a dobson design would be significantly more luminous, to the point that the moon might need a neutral density filter to curb luminosity down, is that correct?

Or perhaps I am talking rubbish, given more luminous optics are only really useful for bodies so far away that a 76 or binoculars would be useless ayway.

By the way, I have just seen a second hand 130, but it doesn't come with the original eyepiece..

It comes with a Skywatcher 20mm Super PLOSSL instead.

They say it's much better than the original, is that correct?

The originals are

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x26 & x65

Thanks and sorry for the many questions,

Aldo

Ask as many questions as you like the 10mm is usually rubbish the 25mm is not too bad the 20mm will be good and you can always pick up a couple more maybe 8 or 12 mm and 30mm then you will have a good low,medium and high power eyepieces for the scope.

Ask as many questions as you like the 10mm is usually rubbish the 25mm is not too bad the 20mm will be good and you can always pick up a couple more maybe 8 or 12 mm and 30mm then you will have a good low,medium and high power eyepieces for the scope.

Brillant, thanks so much for the advice, it's great that removable eyepieces offers that kind of flexibility.

I guess as a starter the 20mm will be just fine then, and I'll get her a moon filter too :)

The Heritage 130P is a brilliant starter scope (it;s the one I own!) and will be able to do both lunar, planetary and deep sky work. It holds the best price for performance in my opinion :). Unless needed as a travel scope, 76mm for a reflector is really too small.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a Moon filter, it's not that bright unless it's full with the Heritage, and the Moon lacks contrast when full.

HTH

Be aware that taking photos through telescopes is actually pretty complicated and the fact that you have a tracking mount doesn't mean you'll succeed. You need a high quality equatorial tracking mount. I usually advise people to take it out of the equation at the entry stage because it can lead to unproductive compromises on the visual side. (And this despite the fact that I'm heavily involved in astrophotography.)

The point about the Dobsonian mount (the scopes themselves are simply Newtonians) is that they are cheap to make, stable and intuitive. Your cash goes where it should, into the optics.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.s...39556&k=FGgG233

Regarding moon filters, they cut down glare, many people swear by them, but not everyone uses them. The 130p isnt that powerful either, compared to say a 250p or larger.

Looking forward to hearing a "first light" report after christmas :D

Regarding moon filters, they cut down glare, many people swear by them, but not everyone uses them.

I really don't like them! The lit part of the Moon is approximately the same brightness as sunlit tarmac, so the eye can easily adapt to it. If I want to (partly) protect my dark adaptation and/or tease out a bit more subtle detail, I use a deep red (#29) filter.

Regarding moon filters, they cut down glare, many people swear by them, but not everyone uses them. The 130p isnt that powerful either, compared to say a 250p or larger.

Looking forward to hearing a "first light" report after christmas :D

Will do Carl, thaks for all the advice :)

Also, I see the 24 and 25th (always confused when to open presents :) is not full moon yet, so maybe the filter won't be needed.

Hey, I just looked at you avatar. Did you guys build your own observatory??

Can't read Swedish unfortunately, neither I really know what a T45 is, but I had a browse through uaa.saaf.se and liked it a lot, how cool :)

The Heritage 130P is a brilliant starter scope (it;s the one I own!) and will be able to do both lunar, planetary and deep sky work. It holds the best price for performance in my opinion :). Unless needed as a travel scope, 76mm for a reflector is really too small.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a Moon filter, it's not that bright unless it's full with the Heritage, and the Moon lacks contrast when full.

HTH

I really don't like them! The lit part of the Moon is approximately the same brightness as sunlit tarmac, so the eye can easily adapt to it. If I want to (partly) protect my dark adaptation and/or tease out a bit more subtle detail, I use a deep red (#29) filter.

-2 Then :)

Thanks for clarifying about the filter. I have been readinng quite a lot of, well, promotional material the last few days, and some described the filter as absolutely necessary, they always do I guess :)

I really hope I'll manage to get the 130p.

Actually, I mght have a red filter somewhere in my photography stuff, I'll give it a go!

Thanks for all the advice.

Actually, I mght have a red filter somewhere in my photography stuff, I'll give it a go!
Unlikely to fit the supplied eyepieces :grin: . It's probably a #25 (most red filters are). Not as good as a #29, but still effective (you could hold it between the eyepiece and your eye to see if you like it. (Some people are repulsed by the notion of a red Moon! :laugh: )

Hi McAldo, I've got one of those cheap plastic moon filters ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-94119-A-Moon-Filter/dp/B00006LSVL ) that I don't ever use if you want it for nowt?

It does an OK job actually, I just prefer the view unfiltered, but at least it'll give you some idea of whether you'd want a moon filter at all or not.

PM me your address and I'll post it off for you.

Will do Carl, thaks for all the advice :)

Also, I see the 24 and 25th (always confused when to open presents :) is not full moon yet, so maybe the filter won't be needed.

Hey, I just looked at you avatar. Did you guys build your own observatory??

Can't read Swedish unfortunately, neither I really know what a T45 is, but I had a browse through uaa.saaf.se and liked it a lot, how cool :)

Yes, I am fortunate enough to be a new member of a very good little club based in Uppsala, Sweden. The guys are not only taking care of the old double Steinheil refractor from 1894 in Uppsala Old Observatory http://www.astro.uu.se/history/images/refraktor.jpg and use it for public viewing tuesdays when the weather is good. They also built a small observatory outisde town where the club have a fully computerized 41cm Ritchey Chretien (a hand-me-down from the university) for imaging http://uaa.saaf.se/images/sandvreten/T41_jw.jpg (the last project was recording a exoplanet transit and measuring the light from the star behind it as it passed in front). The club also has a home built 45cm newton http://uaa.saaf.se/images/sandvreten/dome_at_night.jpg that is computerized, but mainly used for visual observation. We also hold fixing-evenings for personal equipment at the club house in Uppsala where we help eachother out with gear and software (and eat Jaffa Cakes). Sometimes we even have scientists from the university poking their head in for small lectures. I am truly lucky for having these guys so close by, and I encourage everyone to seek out their local astronomical society. Astronomers are shockingly friendly and helpful, and the gear-snobbery is non-existant in this wonderful hobby.

Archived