polar scope diagonal

Hi There,

Is there anybody out there whoe has modified a JYC SEAGULL 1x-2x Right Angle View Machine (ANGLE FINDER) or any like it to work with a polarscope to avoid the need to lay on the ground when polar aligning a heq5 pro mount. Is it possible or not.

Thanks.

Check out the DIY sections - I have seen this type of mod. Two ways of doing it include either fitting a diagonal so you can use an eyepiece - or rigging up an eyepeice adaptor that will take a webcam so you can polar align using a preview screen on pc. I don't know for your specific model though - you may have to do a little modding to fit it. Hth :)

Yes, I use a modded SLR rightangle finder on my IEQ45 mount, you remove the part that slips over the camera eyepiece and replace it with a tube to slide over the polar scope eyepiece. Focus up the polarscope as normal, fit the diagonal and focus that on the reticule it works a treat no more grovelling round under the scope to do your alignment.

Make sure the right angle finder you're using is a correct left to right one as some of the simpler ones are left to right inverted but I believe the Seagull one is OK, you will lose the 1x - 2x option but you don't need it.

Hope that helps, Mel

Check out the DIY sections - I have seen this type of mod. Two ways of doing it include either fitting a diagonal so you can use an eyepiece - or rigging up an eyepeice adaptor that will take a webcam so you can polar align using a preview screen on pc. I don't know for your specific model though - you may have to do a little modding to fit it. Hth :)

Thanks for the input, i looked at the D.I.Y section and it looks like its possible.

I use a cheap diagonal on my polar scope. The eyepiece end goes over the polar scope and I remove the barrel from the other end so I can get my eye close enough to the mirror to get a reasonable view. Field of view is restricted but good enough to be workable.

Chris.

Can it not de used the right way round i.e looking into the eyepiece and making an adapter to fit onto the polarscope

Yes, I use a modded SLR rightangle finder on my IEQ45 mount, you remove the part that slips over the camera eyepiece and replace it with a tube to slide over the polar scope eyepiece. Focus up the polarscope as normal, fit the diagonal and focus that on the reticule it works a treat no more grovelling round under the scope to do your alignment.

Make sure the right angle finder you're using is a correct left to right one as some of the simpler ones are left to right inverted but I believe the Seagull one is OK, you will lose the 1x - 2x option but you don't need it.

Hope that helps, Mel

Thanks for the feedback, it looks feasable so i might try one of the cheap Seagull ones and see how i get on

Archived