Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what the hell is this on my mirror??

Daniel-K

i have just brought my 8inch quattro in to do some collimation and found the mirror looking like this, i have had to shine a tourch on it so the camera can pick it up , i know what you say it looks worse with a torch shinning on it but in this case it doesnt, it acttualy goes away to an extent. but you can see it very easy with the naked eye. my scope is obsy based stored facing down with a dessicant cap installed to pull out any moisture, with all the reflectors i have had i have never seen anything like this before. any advice, i use this scope for imaging an have used it twice

post-6284-0-15229900-1355775047_thumb.jp

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

assuming you are talking about the halo around the light, I am sorry to say this appears to look like failed coatings. I may be wrong though as it's hard to tell from pics of course. can you shine a torch on the back of the mirror? if the torch shines through to the topside then it would seem to confirm my fears.

ive used it twice and to be honest the images were what it would look like if there was dew on the secondary. im waiting on a reply from bern @ MA he must hate me the amount of stuff that gone wrong for me im waiting on a replacement mammut CCD as well :eek:

Hope you get it sorted.

I agree with James, i had a simular mottled coating on my lens albeit a refractor, it appeared to be a build up of a few nights of heavy dew. I gave it a clean and the lens came up like new. :smiley:

cleaned and its gone away :grin: . at least i have over come my fear of cleaning a mirror now, but what i did find is that the mirror clips were very tight so when i put them back on there just nipping the mirror now instead of squeezing it

I nearly added a post saying 'dont forget the scouring pad and 80 grit sand paper' but had to delete as it made me cringe just thinking about it! :eek:

Yes, I started one about brillo pads but then thought better of it. :eek:

How did you actually clean it Danny? Standard distilled water and softly softly approach?

Archived