SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aligning a finder scope..

saaj

A hint on aligning - if you use stars to align the finder then you have the problem that stars move across the sky. To make things easier, use a terrestrial light (distant streetlight) or Polaris, which is effectively stationary. Or do it in daytime using a distant object. If the finder needs focusing then this can be done by twisting the front end (the knurled ring locks it in place). Good luck and clear skies.

I did it in daylight in the moon.. Worked well and I am going to go and look at some messier objects hopefully... Heres a picture i got of the moon through my S3! The first is after editing and the second is without...

post-27161-0-51374100-1355768207_thumb.j

post-27161-0-25112100-1355768241_thumb.j

i've managed to cope ok just aligning with random stars as this is more convenient for me. i don't have anything to align with that's far away enough in the day time and don't want to have to get the scope out twice in a day so don't bother. might try using polaris next time though, good tip acey!

Archived