SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone up for a Glasgow Stargazing Meet??

huggiebear

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok sounds good , theres a star gazing live event at the botanic gardens in glasgow on wednesday 9th january i'm hopefully going between 5.30 and 7.30 if you fncy a meet up will pm my mobile number

Hi everyone!

New to it all, only got the Celestron Travelscope for Christmas (since added a 2x Barlow) and before that had just been using Binos. Enjoying what I'm seeing while learning the ropes before moving on to better scopes etc. I've yet to see Andromeda but I'm pretty capable following Jupiter over a night seeing the moons and picking out the nebula in Orion, still amazing sights each time.

I'd love to try out these sites and have been closely following the post read only but the whole site seemed friendly for noobs like me to join in! :tongue: I'm on the south side so Barrhead and the Braes are best for me but I know the east of the city from my gf so I'm comfortable driving there. The only thing I was wondering is how great the views can be? The fact dtr42 says the milky way is clear from the carpark close to Barrhead is amazing! Is the milky way much more obvious from locations that, compared to the likes of Galloway Forest, are still relatively close to Glasgow?

the milky way is seeable mate but more like a swathe of thin cloud rather than the cloud highway you get at dark sites . i have been to rannoch moor , harrperig , mugdock park and the dams also over at lugton and back end of the braes . in order of how dark rannoch moor total dark [was 2 miles from kingshouse wild camping ] milky way was incredible i imagine galloway is as dark as this]. the road to stewarton next darkest about 2 miles from lugton next darkest but no car park apart from field entrances .harrperig reservoir very good so its 3rd then dams and mugdock park about the same [a bit more lp to the east of barrhead ie glasow but still far beter than being in glasow itself . the braes , about same as barrhead with lp to the north and east , this is all subjective as its what i've found from my experience . apaprently its clear tommorow so i'm hoping to get over tommorow about 6.30 if the forecast is right and theres another guy from the scottish astronomers forum who's planning to go as well .

Thanks a lot for that! It's a relief to know that I don't have to travel as far as Ayr to escape some of the light pollution! Just a thin cloud would be great!

I'll probably have to miss tomoro but think it's to get clearer, and colder, for the end of the week. Hopefully scout these areas for myself then. Good luck tomoro and thanks again!

popped over for an hour, as just getting over a tummy bug, sky was a bit cloudy/patchy but had some nice views . was gauging what i can see from my back garden to what i can see here , for example hyades very visible as was pleides . the milkway again visible at zenith from south east/ south to north west as a thin band cloudlike . the sky to south and west little lp with pegasus,lyra , cygnus very clear orion lost in the orange murk to the east but was clearing to darker height when i left . so as a comparison i reckon that it was a great improvement from glasgow lp for little travel time- distance .

Still not looking good for the next few days...

I managed to get out in the garden a few nights ago and get a good look at Orion, saw the nebula and the two big stars, good viewing. Looking forward to the moon coming back to the night sky for a good look at that!

• 2 weeks later...

So i picked up the scope which was a 114gt nexstar not 130slt . So it looks ok. there are a couple of bits missing. the plate that locks the stand down and a power pack and a lense cap. i have a 12v ac adapter.so i checked to make sure it worked and it does. There is only one eye piece . Where can i pick up these bits and bobs so i can get started.

i have a few that i use all the time a 32mm revelation[seen them on astro buy for £20] for widefield view . a sky hyperflex 7-21mm zoom [at £190 expensive ]but one of the guys got my old skywatcher 7-21 mm zoom and he and i both agree for under £30 seen on ebay and astro buy now and again it's a realy good ep. i reckon you would be better with a 25mm ep and a 15mm ep and a 2x barlow this will give you an equivalent [12.5mm and 7.5mm with barlow] the bst ep's [type bst eyepiece on ebay ] have a good reputation but at £47 each they are a bit pricey but realy good and come up on astro buy in the mid 30's including p and p .

Archived