SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

spotter scope

so i got my 8" dob this week (my first scope!) and after 3 days of cloud it finally cleared tonight! I took the scope into the yard and managed to find jupiter with a half decent view. any tips on how i use the finder scope to find stuff and then transfer over to my main eyepiece. i found that once i had it centered in my spotter crosshairs i had to then look through the eyepiece and try to find the light shining off of jupiter and track onto it slowly. does this sound the best way to do it? all i have is a 200p dobs and the included lenses (a 25 super and a 10 wide angle/eye relief)

Don't wish to state the obvious but we forgot at first: have you aligned the finderscope to the telescope? If you have that spot on you should be able to see Jupiter in the 25mm EP if you have it in the crosshairs of the finder. Then move to the 10mm to see the planet better.

Archived