Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light pollution filter DSLR

Andymac79

Hello,

Can anyone give an opinion on a DSLR filter for a canon 1000d?

Im deciding weather the investment is worth the money.

I have attached a jpeg of a 100 sec, ISO 1600, 200mm sub from my back garden as a guide to my situation, Im about 10 miles from a big city and can see about 15(ish) stars in Pegasus' square as a guide to my sky.

Worth it do you think or is the money better spent elsewhere?

Oh and does anyone know if the filter will even fit with a M42 lens adapter? If not then this post is moot..........................!

post-17529-0-36613900-1355577020_thumb.j

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd reccommend a CLS clip filter. I've got the CLS CCD version but the non-CCD version works fine with either an unmodified camera or one where the red cut filter has been replaced with an IR/UV cut filter and may be fine where the red-cut filter hasn't been replaced. That is currently under discussion.

I have the Astronomik LP filter, it is a 2" filter and it does work (but it gives a green colour cast due to the way it filters out the yellow to red wavelengths)

If you want to attach it to something then filter has an M48 thread. I have it connected to my Altair 80mm telescope ready for use via an M48 to T2 adapter (not M42)

I also use it on 62mm and 67mm and a 38mm (leica M 50mm f2.8) camera lenses via stacking camera step up/step down rings, but obviously a 48mm filter is going to stop down a 62mm or 67mm camera lens

As Gina says if you have a canon then the CLS version is probably better for you, I don't have a canon though

Thanks Gina, Do you know if it will fit with a M42 adapter? I know you use old MF lenses

Yes it will. I know because I use clip filters with M42 adapter and screw mount lenses. :)

Hi,

I have a modded Canon 1000D and use the CLS clip filter (non CCD version as on the 1000D there is still a UV/IR cut filter in the camera after the mod, so the CCD version is not needed), it only gives a green cast when used on unmodified cameras, on modified it produces almost perfect colour balance, and yes the cast is easier to take out in processing, compared to the light pollution, unless you buy gradient Xterminator which is superb for getting rid of LP.

Hope this helps

Olly

I have the Astronomik LP filter, it is a 2" filter and it does work (but it gives a green colour cast due to the way it filters out the yellow to red wavelengths)

If you want to attach it to something then filter has an M48 thread. I have it connected to my Altair 80mm telescope ready for use via an M48 to T2 adapter (not M42)

I also use it on 62mm and 67mm and a 38mm (leica M 50mm f2.8) camera lenses via stacking camera step up/step down rings, but obviously a 48mm filter is going to stop down a 62mm or 67mm camera lens

As Gina says if you have a canon then the CLS version is probably better for you, I don't have a canon though

Mod your DSLR and the colour cast will go, the CLS gives almost perfect colour balance on modded cameras.

Olly

I am likewise very interested in this post. I have a SW 2" filter comign from my wife as part of my xmas box :) That will be my first filter.

Clearly, a Hutech or one of the CLS CCD clips would work better on a modded 450D? Also, a CLS CCD means that if I go to a CCD astro camera in the future that investment is wasted somewhat (though could sell it of course) ?

Have you tried removing the LP from your original image? I played with it in PS, adjusting levels (then curves slightly to bring out the nebulosity).

post-6495-0-26301400-1355774333_thumb.jp

Yes I have a similar result to you, I just posted the that to illustrate my situation. Im thinking that anything that stops the evil street light photons getting in is a good thing,

If I lived in an area where I could see 15 stars in the Pegasus square I'd be inclined to spend my money elsewhere.

Like on knee pads for when I gave thanks for skies most others can only dream of !

But if pushed, the only LP filter that convinces me is the IDAS P2.

Dave.

I have 2 CLS filters - a 48mm screwed for my Tak and a SCT fitting for the CPC925 and both do a good job but the colour cast does need to be sorted in paintshop etc.

I haven't read all the threads above so it may have already been mentioned that the CLS filters are aggressive for use in high to medium light polution - where I am ain't to bad as on a clear night I can just make out the milky way but I decided to take the CLS when I ordered the second one just in case; it would be good to try out something less aggressive but as they cost somewere between £125-£175 it could be an expensive mistake :mad: .

Have you tried removing the LP from your original image? I played with it in PS, adjusting levels (then curves slightly to bring out the nebulosity).

post-6495-0-26301400-1355774333_thumb.jp

I have to agree- a lot of your LP can be removed in software. Your subs might be more useable than you think.

5 minutes in Photoshop Elements......

M45lightpol_NOELS.jpg

Archived