Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium View of Jupiter are timing correct for GSB

Hello everyone ,just zoomed into jupiter on stellerium and compared the transit times of gsb across the meridian of the planet with this website www.projectpluto.com/jeve_grs.htm the timing for tonights transit is 21.14 gmt.When I fast forward Stellarium its vanished from view by that time.

Two questions is Stellarium reliable in this respect of timing transits and if so how to correct stellarium to read the same hope I am making sense.Thanks for your help!

Have a search on the forum, there is a parameter which you can set in one of the setup files for Stellarium which corrects the position. Because it is not a fixed object, it drifts over the years so you need to change it every now and then

Stu

Hi, This info is for XP but the files should be the same for all win platforms you will need to do a search for it.

Locate "C:\Program Files\Stellarium\data\ssystem.ini"

Open the file with Wordpad

Scroll down the settings until you find [Jupiter]

Find the setting: rot_rotation_offset = 93 #just some value good for GRS #old:151

As you can see I've reset my value to 93. This provides a near approxamation to the current position for the GRS

When you save and close the file, make a short cut for the desktop as the setting will change over time.

Hope this helps

Your welcome, Not my discovery though, I have been imaging the GRS recently and noticed the position error in Stellarium and after a bit of net searching found the info.

It certainly makes life easier to pop up Stellarium now and check for the GRS position, all we need now is cloud positions preferably not where i'm imaging. :grin:

have you accounted for the light speed issue with stellarium? The version as it comes cleanly installed shows without the light speed lag it takes for the movements of jupiter to actually appear at your eyeball on earth. I had an similar issue last winter when Stellarium told me Io was going to be appearing from behind Jupiter and I looked and looked and looked and saw nothing. I did some research and found that a setting in the Stellarium config file wasnt set to allow for light speed, facepalm moment. Wondering why it wasnt set as a default option I corrected it and then sure enough Io transited exactly at the expected time.

Archived