Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what dslr do you use

bottletopburly

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Canon EOS 600D, used for wide field shots and when connected to the SCT, the Moon and M42. The adjustable live view screen is great and you can use the Canon Eos Utility software too. Not really into ap but it's nice to know what the camera is capable of.

Cheers,

Steve

I use a self modded Canon 350D.That was fun.

Only issue i found is that Canon do not supply drivers for this camera past Windows XP. Luckily i had an old XP laptop to use. Just means i can`t use my better spec windows 7 machine.

Slightly off topic so forgive me, but...

I have a Sony A200 (budget) with 70-300mm lens and a 30-75mm (I think) lens. My question; what's the longest I can keep the shutter open (with a low iso setting) before things start to blur slightly? I can experiment but I figured I'd ask some folks who already know the answer ;-)

I'm gunna take the camera out on the next clear night and have a play :D

Slightly off topic so forgive me, but...

I have a Sony A200 (budget) with 70-300mm lens and a 30-75mm (I think) lens. My question; what's the longest I can keep the shutter open (with a low iso setting) before things start to blur slightly? I can experiment but I figured I'd ask some folks who already know the answer ;-)

I'm gunna take the camera out on the next clear night and have a play :D

Depends on the focal length you're actually using and to a certain extent what part of the sky you're looking at. With the 30-75mm I'd say twenty seconds, perhaps at 30mm? If you're trying it I'd use the lens wide open at something like ISO800 and see how that turns out. Experimentation is the name of the game though :)

James

Depends on the focal length you're actually using and to a certain extent what part of the sky you're looking at. With the 30-75mm I'd say twenty seconds, perhaps at 30mm? If you're trying it I'd use the lens wide open at something like ISO800 and see how that turns out. Experimentation is the name of the game though :)

James

Thanks bud. I will be experimenting but at least I have a starting point now :D ta.

I fell for the 12Mp Canon 1100d @ a silly £272 from Jessops in October including £30 Canon cashback and love it :Envy: The basic EF-S 18-55mm zoom is amazingly sharp. I've some 8 fixed and zoom Pentax screw lenses that I use via an EOS adapter in the 17mm to 300mm fl plus x2 tele-extenders - focus is manual but easy and exposure auto on selected cam settings for daylight. May try it on some w/a piggyback starfield shots on my M12 - my screw lenses have large photon-grabbing apertures to 60mm [=300mm fl] . The 1100d was < half the cost but much better performance than my first Canon 300d [6Mp] now gathering dust :cool:

Canon 1D3 and a 5Dmk2 - I feel the 1D has the edge over the 5dmk2 when it comes to long (3min +) exposures - I find the 5Dmk2 exhibits a bit of amp glow after that sort of exposure. I have also used the 5Dmk1 for astro and its pretty much useless over ISO400 for long exposures.

Archived