Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

bottletopburly

what dslr do you use

I imagine the majority of people imaging using DSLRs will be using Canon cameras because the software to control them is very good. I use a 450D.

James

• Like 1

I imagine the majority of people imaging using DSLRs will be using Canon cameras because the software to control them is very good. I use a 450D.

James

+1 on Canon, I use 550D, in my eyes good enough for my needs

I use the olympus pen epl micro four thirds but not much good for astro work due to lack of software

1100D. My family consider it an overcomplicated lump of removed words! It is not helped by my mantra of "oh bother, I was using the wrong ISO all afternoon!" or "oh bother, I thought it was set to autofocus!" :-)

But I love it anyway!

Edited by Ags

1100D. My family consider it an overcomplicated lump of removed words! It is not helped by my mantra of "oh bother, I was using the wrong ISO all afternoon!" or "oh bother, I thought it was set to autofocus!" :-)

But I love it anyway!

quick 1100d question, my daughter recently got a new one, i want to get her a couple of 58mm filters for it, do they just screw onto the front of the kit lens?

Yes they will (I don't have a 58mm filter but I do have a 58mm step-down ring).

• Like 1

quick 1100d question, my daughter recently got a new one, i want to get her a couple of 58mm filters for it, do they just screw onto the front of the kit lens?

Yeah, they just screw in to the front of the lens

As for cameras, I used a Canon 500D until recently, and it works really well. I have just bought a 60D, so i am moving on to that. I used to own a Sony A100, and it wasnt very good at astro, so i would stay clear.

Keiran

For astro my main DSLR is a modified 450D. I have a standard 600D I use too, particularly for OIII narrowband where the unmodified red response is irrelevant.

I use an unmodified Canon 450D, but i would have been almost as happy to buy/use a Canon 1000D.

It didnt feel right in my big shovel hands.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

+1 for Canon... Canon all the way for me... I love my 50D for everyday stuff and general night shot fieldwork, but i never got on with my 20Da quite so well so i'm selling it now.

7D, 5DMkII and a 1DMkIV but mainly the 7D or 5D MkII depending on what FoV I want and what I'm using it for.

Un modded 1000D as its my only DSLR looking for another one to modify sometime in the future for DSO work.

I have a Canon EOS 500D too which I like. I just don't have a suitable scope mount for astro photography, just a floppy alt-az mount :(

1000d, bought for £75 with a broken flash release, very pleased with it

That was a bargain!

James

I had a 450D but it was useless for AP as every 3 or 4 frames it would introduce some weird artifact. I bought a second hand modded 350D from my astro club and I have never looked back :grin:

• Like 1

1000d, bought for £75 with a broken flash release, very pleased with it

Thats some skilled purchasing, good find:)

I had a 450D but it was useless for AP as every 3 or 4 frames it would introduce some weird artifact. I bought a second hand modded 350D from my astro club and I have never looked back :grin:

I liked mine so much I've bought a second one in mint condition for 80 quid just in case my first one breaks or I fancy setting up some dual imaging:)

Unmodded 1100D for astro.

1DMKIIN for motorsport. She may be old, but is still one of the fastest focusing cameras around, and built to survive.

+ some L glass to go with them.

• Like 1

i'm new to this astro stuff but i have an eos350d which i was finding hard to focus on the t-mount.

i am now working out how to use a new(to me-second hand) eos60d, had a few star trail pics so far(clouds are beating me on work free nights)

the live view with zoom is hopefully going to make life easier for me to learn how to take some astro pics tho.

i'm also messing with the MagicLantern software so quite a lot to learn in one hit.

thanks everyone always wondered what everyone was using, keep adding peeps some good comments on your equipment useful for everyone thinking of getting a dslr .